PDA

View Full Version : Bowling For Columbine: It'll Change Your Perceptions of America.

ShadowTiger
11-04-2003, 05:20 PM
We've been watching the movie Bowling for Columbine in our government class in school. This movie has really shown me a lot of stuff. It's made me think. I really don't have my thoughts organized, but let me put it to you this way. ..

America is paranoid. That pretty much sums it all up, pretty well. Most European countries have a death by gun count of about 1-3 hundred a year. Do you know how many times you would have to multiply that to reach America's annual death-by-gun count? It's well past the single-digits range, and well into the double-digits. (Somewhere around the 10,000 range, but definitely more than that.)

Remember the 6 year old shooting in Flint, Michigan? It was the youngest violent shooting ever! A 6 YEAR OLD! :eek: He came from a poor family, where the father had left, and the mother was forced to travel 80 miles to take on 2 jobs just to feed the kid alone, and she wasn't making enough to support herself or pay the rent on those 2 jobs. Hell... Truly Hell.

And the media is blamed, by far. It's also Marilyn Manson and his "Shock Rock" that influence the kids.

Maybe I should take out my crudely scrawled notes and see what I can come up with.

Discuss.

Ich
11-04-2003, 05:33 PM
I'd read up on some alternative view points first, before you condemn America.

Love it or leave it.

ShadowTiger
11-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, that's all part of the fun of it. The director was biased in one particular fashion, and the director continues in that fashion until a point is established, and works off that point. Perhaps the people who watch that are merely "entertained" by that point, rather than act on it.

theplustwo
11-04-2003, 06:33 PM
A couple thoughts:

Whereas I used to think Michael Moore was cool and I wanted to see Bowling for Columbine upon hearing about it, his constant accusitory (this is everybody's fault but mine!) tone and flagrantly false (we are a country that is going to war for ficticious reasons... doesn't he remember Sept 11?) has put me off. I also don't like people who are quite so utterly obsessed with obsessing over polotics. Not that all polotics are bad (just most of them) but why do some people insist on discussing it ad nauseum, day in, day out, blah blah. Well, I guess that's what keeps his fat ass fed. He obviously makes a good living off of being outraged, and he himself is a "shock-jock". He says things that are intentionally offensive. The only difference is that Marylin Manson's (yuck) stuff is "art", while Michael Moore's is "to make a point."

The Savior
11-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Moore also cut up pieces of several speechs Heston made to make it seem like he was saying things that he really did not say.

Goat
11-04-2003, 10:24 PM
OMG!! bowlin for columbine was hilarious. Teh animated part where the bullet tells how white people are cowards and have to hidwe behind guns.. hilarious, white peopel are teh suck

Melonhead
11-04-2003, 11:09 PM
I saw Michael Moore when he came to Portland, and I thought that he was a little whacked out. But how did that 6-year old get a gun, with no dad and his families lack of money?

TheGeepster
11-05-2003, 12:42 AM
I wonder about one stistic comparison.. How many times have guns been used to save lives, compared to times that it is used to take them?

Most gun-owners, especially licensed ones, have the knowledge, training, and discipline in proper use of them, including when and where to use them, and when not to.

The people who would abuse guns are more likely to be the ones who try to circumvent laws anyways.

Ich
11-05-2003, 11:05 AM
http://www.tsra.com/Lott72.htm

Article.

TheGeepster
11-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Muchas gracias, Ich. I knew the truth was something like that..