PDA

View Full Version : Bah... More for Less...

J.J. Maxx
10-31-2003, 12:27 PM
I went online shopping for a small 4 port hub yesterday. Turned out that the cheapest one I found was a 6-port hub. No matter how hard I looked I couldn't find a 4-port hub that was any cheaper than this 6-port one. The thing is, I will probably never use all 6 ports. I didn't even need 4 ports, just 3. So I ordered the 6 port hub for 17 bucks. I know it's a good deal but mentally it bothers me. :shrug:

Raichu86
10-31-2003, 12:32 PM
You forget, it will only be so many years before Chibi wants a dedicated computer with Internet access. ;)

Of course, that only brings it up to 4, so I guess that doesn't help. :shrug:

ShadowTiger
10-31-2003, 12:32 PM
Nice... but.. yeah. In 9th grade, I "purchased" a really awesome watch (which I still have, actually, and am probably wearing right now.) I purchased it for 75 cents because I felt guilty he gave it to me for free. :shrug:

DarkPanther
10-31-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
I "purchased" a really awesome watch (which I still have, actually, and am probably wearing right now.)

...you don't know? o_O

Anyways, maybe it's just the McDonald's effect. You order a Big Mac and get fries and a drink with it unless you fight tooth and nail to just pay for ONE BIG MAC. THAT'S IT. NO FRIES. I ALREADY HAVE A DRINK. NO!!! I SAID I DON'T WANT THEM!!! I DON'T CARE IF IT'S ONLY 39 CENTS MORE. I DON'T CARE IF IT'S CHEAPER TO GET EVERYTHING WITH IT. JUST GIVE ME ONE SINGLE FREAKING BIG MAAAAAC.

The Super-Sizing of America. When quality plateaus, quantity is less relevant.

TheGeepster
10-31-2003, 05:27 PM
Aaah, the cheaper side of me says that if you can get the combo for less than just the sandwich, get the combo.

If you already had a drink, you can either drink it as well, give it to someone else, including that panhandler on the street corner, or possibly order the combo "cut the drink". You could also conveniently "forget" the drink on the counter.

Same idea with this 6 port hub. If it's the cheapest, don't sweat the extra 2 ports. You may want to expand later, and they aren't doing any harm now.

Just make sure that the deal is on the up and up (especially if it seems too good.)

inori
11-01-2003, 12:49 AM
Just stick wads of chewing gum in the extra two ports, so that you actually have a four-port hub. :blah:

Bloodstar64
11-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by inori
Just stick wads of chewing gum in the extra two ports, so that you actually have a four-port hub. :blah:

You'd still have a six-port... Just two of em choking to death on gum.:shrug:

Ich
11-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Wow. 17 bucks. I'm jealous. Where'd you get it from?

Master Ghaleon
11-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Alot of things are like that. Lets take TP for example. You can buy a pack of 12 for lets say 5 dollars while a pack of 24 is 8 dollars. So its cheaper to get the 24 pack then the 12 pack.

Note - Those prices arent prolly right, they were just an example ;)

Rainman
11-01-2003, 01:18 PM
I bought one (4-port hub) just the other day, JJ. In fact your probably fairly close to where I bought it. I got it at a Staples near the Arnot Mall if that makes any sense to you. Anyways, I'd be wary because the price might reflect quality.