PDA

View Full Version : this is suprising...

deathbyhokie
10-31-2003, 09:08 AM
but i shouldn't be that suprised that i'm the first to mention seeing the northern lights last night. now you may be thinking "big freaking deal". well it is a big freaking deal. i live in virginia. apparently that solar magnetic storm thing caused them to be visible much further south(they were in the sky last night for a half an hour or so). i tried taking some pictures, but my digitial camera can't handle nighttime sky shots. so did anyone else see this? or were you all inside, not seeing something you're not likely to see again(if you don't live up north that is)?

ShadowTiger
10-31-2003, 09:15 AM
I may have seen something. I was helping my dad take down my Holiday house thingy, (Big job. It fell down due to heavy gusts of wind.) And it was about 9:00 in the night. I MAY have seen something, but I don't know. I never had the change to look up, 'cause every time I did, my dad whapped me with a pole "by accident." :rolleyes:

Linkafier
10-31-2003, 10:54 AM
Me and my friend were riding bikes last night, O' say about 8:30.
We live in Michigan, and we noticed a light in the sky going around us. I didn't know what it was until I read this thread. lol my friend was stupid, he actually got me to try to follow the light source with him.

Master Ghaleon
10-31-2003, 11:00 AM
I think ive seen this lights like 3 times before. Weird but pretty cool. Since I live kinda middle of no where, I can look over the hill to a huge sky. I also saw those too

Tudorcat
10-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Yeah I saw them and they were (are still shhowing here)extraordinary, they even got mentioned in the news here.

I live in the nort part of Sweden not that far away from the artic circle so I have seen them many times before but I never get tired of them especially great huge ones like these.

:kitty:

Brasel
10-31-2003, 03:05 PM
I didn't have any idea. I'm not sure if they would have been visible here anyway.

TheGeepster
10-31-2003, 05:29 PM
If you were in the continental US, chances are they were visible (provided the city lights didn't interfere). Me, I live in the middle of Dallas, so I didn't try to see them.

I understand from news sources that it would have appeared red this far south.

Ibis, God of Magicks
11-01-2003, 04:40 PM
I saw them, man I was all freaking out. Thinking it was an Alien or some crazy shit. It wasn't untill the next day I found out what they were. It was very purple/reddish to me.

Rainman
11-01-2003, 04:51 PM
I remember hearing about this, but when my brother and I went out to try and see it we saw nothing. It doesn't help to live in an area with some of the most cloud cover in the US.

*b*
11-01-2003, 05:34 PM
lol, I'm reading along and seeing those of you who got freaked out made me laugh. then here I am and I'm getting this deep nostalgic (sp?) feeling. lol

I used to live in Alaska, and almost every night you could see them. I lived near Anchorage (if any of you know where that is) on a hill, so we were away from the lights of the city. it was really cool!

... *sniff* oh great, now I got myself thinking of Alaska again *wipes eyes* :p

Link 101
11-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Isn't that called Aroura Bori Alis? I am pretty sure that is the full name of it, or the scientific name. I have not seen them myself.

inori
11-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Full name: Aurora Borealis
The equivalent in the southern hemisphere is "Aurora Australis."

Rijuhn
11-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Were the Norther Lights really visible in Viriginia? I live in Virginia Beach and I have a lot of city lights polluting the night sky, but I still see a lot of stars. Man, I wish I could go back in time and see them. That would've been so beautiful to see.

linkofzelda1
11-02-2003, 11:19 PM
I didn't even look. I live here in Oregon. It would probably have been visible.

*b*
11-03-2003, 01:32 AM
o.O where... in Oregon? I'm in Oregon too! I still didn't see them though... I think I'm too far south, they said you could see them in Portland though

Amber
11-04-2003, 10:04 AM
I saw 'em with Ibis (big surprise:D ). Gorgeous. It was kinda scary with him trying to drive and look at the same time.

linkofzelda1
11-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by *b*
o.O where... in Oregon? I'm in Oregon too! I still didn't see them though... I think I'm too far south, they said you could see them in Portland though

Yeah, I'm in the Portland area. Like I said, I didn't see them.