PDA

View Full Version : But can they polish chrome?

Predcon1
10-31-2003, 08:51 AM
Does anyone know if the $2 bill is worth any more than $2 as they are no longer in production? I mean, I happen to have an assload of them, and I'm wondering whether or not I should hoard them or spend them.

inori
10-31-2003, 09:48 AM
$2 bills are (generally) worth $2. You can go to banks and request them (if the bank has them on hand).

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/coin-collecting/paper-money-faq/section-26.html

slothman
10-31-2003, 04:53 PM
Nope it's worth $2. Using Gresham's Law, i.e. rarer objects get hoarded, you would think so but no. Most money isn't worth more than it's face value until 80 or so years after it was made. Of course you could try selling them on Ebay for $5. You'd probably find some buyers.
P.S. I finally got to use Gresham's Law in conversation.

stormwatcheagle
10-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Are you shure they're no longer in producton? my high school has a ton of them they circulate.

TheGeepster
10-31-2003, 05:43 PM
I've heard too that it takes at least a half-century (and probably a lot longer) for currently to gain in value after productio0n ceases. For instance, bicentennial quarters (hoarded by many, including myself) are still worth 25 cents. Wheat pennies, which are around 40-50 years hold relatively little value thus far I believe, although they are approaching the point at which their value beings to rise.

The only exception to this are "goofs", or currency which is released but which possess some sort of fault, (such as a lightly stamped quarter). Mostly that happens to coins though, and not to bills. (And most of the goofed coins get caught in QA, and removed from circulation before they ever get out, which is why they're so valuable.)

Pablo
10-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Pass 'em on to your kids, maybe they'll be worth something by the time they're your age :shrug: