PDA

View Full Version : What if.....

Slider Zero
10-29-2003, 07:15 PM
.......It was possible for you to re-design the GBA-SP in your own personal way. What would you do?

Iwould have Made the sound Stereo, put in 2 more buttons (for True SNES emu) and done some other minor tweaking...thus turning it into a portable SNES.

Kry
10-29-2003, 08:52 PM
It would have a CD player in it, Surround sound to satisfy ANY needs, lighter incase you get lost in the woods with it, a cellphone incase you forgot to bring a game call your gramma to bring it to you, a flashlight to play in the dark, a printer for AWSOME pics, a built in gameshark and of course, a beer dispenser. Games always are more fun while DRUNK!

Grasshopper
10-29-2003, 09:06 PM
So your saying, you want the game boy to be this?

http://www.techtv.com/graphics/thescreensavers/3530663.jpg

Kry
10-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Soooo Beutiful!

*b*
10-29-2003, 09:32 PM
My GBA would have a clear emerald green shell, with a backlight. I'd have a Fast Forward button, and a Rewind button, just in case you're playing GS or GS2 while Kraden's talking (FF), or if you screw up (RW). It'd also have speakers on each side of it, for better sound. it's also have 2 extra buttons (like SZ said) for more SNES like game play. it'd also have a premade screen shield do it wouldn't get scratched so easily

it could also hook directly up to the TCV and be able to play MP3s. oh, and don't forget high-speed mobile internet browsing with a universal chatroom so you can talk with anybody

Bloodstar64
10-29-2003, 09:44 PM
The only thing I'd want added to the GBA/SP would be 2 additional buttons and stero sound.

Daarkseid
10-30-2003, 01:41 AM
I want a portable Playstation.. like the one that guy made himself. The main problem would be battery life because of the motor needed to keep spinning the CD.. then of course in his model, the CD is mostly exposed.

What I'd also like though, is a portable SNES that is compact and would play SNES roms off of GBA sized flashcarts. It would have the compact size of a GBA while retaining the button layout and the screen resolution of an SNES. Those SNES carts are too bulky for portability..

I'm looking forward to the PSP though. It'll be damn expensive, yes, but its going to come with alot of nice features, with the possibility of PSX games being ported to it.

Dart Zaidyer
10-30-2003, 01:57 AM
I don't think I could change something without making it more of a successor to the GBA.

-An SPC700 sound chip.
-320x240 screen resolution with multiple scaling modes for games with smaller screen displays.
-X and Y buttons.
-An SNES-style grip.
-Emulation mode for genuine NES and SNES games. (Via a proprietary flash-cartridge.)
-A freakin' headphone jack!

sagelink
10-30-2003, 07:25 AM
Man that would be so freakin' awesome. I've been reading about the PSP lately and man I can't wait...

ShadowTiger
10-30-2003, 08:49 AM
I would want a portable GameCube. It should have detachable controllers, and small discs I could carry around in CD-holders, it should be small, not so fragile, and it should have a handle. :D That would be so..... Cool. ;) :laughing:

I'm so thankful for the thing I already have. :D

Aegis Runestone
10-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Mine would be a merge between the PS2, Gamecube and GBA. The GBA itself would have an enhanced sound system to level of the SNES. It would be upgradable to ANY NEW console and if that console is not backwards compatible, then the previous console would remain.

Plus a level editor for every game and game creation tool.

Grasshopper
10-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
I want a portable Playstation.. like the one that guy made himself. The main problem would be battery life because of the motor needed to keep spinning the CD.. then of course in his model, the CD is mostly exposed.

Right, but the guy who made that portable playstation fixed it to run off a camcorder battery. So I think they said you get about the same amount of play time as you do from the GBA SP. Just pop it out, recharge it, and pop it back in.

EWild
10-30-2003, 03:21 PM
A backlight
A screen that's scratch resistant
Another spesaker
Two more buttons
Cooler colors, like emerald, red, clear, or a combination of clear and a color. :)

MottZilla
10-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Well, the GBA really NEEDS the following:

Standard Backlight.

X and Y buttons. Same exact positioning as the SNES controller. The way B and A are on the GBA is HORRIBLE as it is like Y and X. It's the wrong way to curve it.

Dedicated Sound Hardware. The GBA's sound is all done by the CPU which is just stupid. I would NOT say use the SPC chip used in the SNES, but something new and better. Something that could stream music data, not just play programmed music via samples.

Higher screen resolution. I'd say a MINIMUM or 256x232 is needed, however 320x240 (GP32) would be much better. And as mentioned before, lower modes (256x232) would be nice if they were supported.

Nice things about the GBA's graphics hardware though are it's realtime scaling, rotation, and alphablending. :O Atleast they got that right.

What else... oh yes, multiplayer through an adaptor with the internet to play your GBA games against your friends online.

That is all the GBA really needs in my opinion. Ofcourse it would be nice if it had some other things.

TheGeepster
10-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Longer battery life and a larger screen would be nice.

I would also tweak the directional pad so that it's responsiveness is 100% better than it currently is.

The extra 2 buttons would be good, as well as better placement of the L & R buttons.

Pablo
10-30-2003, 10:25 PM
What would I give the GBA?

15.4" screen, Internet connectivity, full keyboard, Pentium 4m, ATi Radeon Mobility 7500...

Wait. I already have that. It's called a laptop. I have all the portable gaming I need right there :D

Seriously, I'd rather play GBA roms on my laptop with a nice big screen and a nice fast processor, rather than cope with a poorly designed, too-small handheld. Just my personal preference :shrug:

Daarkseid
10-31-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Pablo
Seriously, I'd rather play GBA roms on my laptop with a nice big screen and a nice fast processor, rather than cope with a poorly designed, too-small handheld. Just my personal preference :shrug:

Yeah, lets see you try carrying your laptop around in your pocket, or just casually pulling it out and playing it for even a few seconds at a time while waiting for something, be it an appointment, in line.. A laptop isn't always appropriate or viable.

Pablo
10-31-2003, 01:01 AM
In situations like that I usually have my Walkman. Once again, personal preference...

I just never liked handheld gaming to begin with.

Daarkseid
10-31-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
In situations like that I usually have my Walkman. Once again, personal preference...

I just never liked handheld gaming to begin with.

Fair enough, but now that you're using a Laptop, why limit yourself to GBA games? When I had a laptop(well before the GBA was released) I used to it to play NES and SNES roms.

Maverick_Zero
10-31-2003, 10:08 PM
If I could change the GBA SP in my own personal way, it would be able to fold 4 times, to save space, be able to play games from any current system and any system in the future, and automatically update itself to any sort of software upgrade it may need.

I hate what if situations.