PDA

View Full Version : Help me out?

Slider Zero
10-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Umm...I'm kinda in a jam here.

I was wodering if anyone knew the japanese words for "angel" and "Heaven", and/or a place where I could get them?

Thanks!

Pablo
10-29-2003, 06:51 PM
The phonetic spelling or the kanji?

Slider Zero
10-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Phonetic...as I probably could have gotten the kanji (albeit very sloppily) at babelfish. *shudders*

Pablo
10-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but it seems all I could get was the kanji. Maybe you could PM inori for help.

TheGeepster
10-29-2003, 07:37 PM
I'll look it up when I get back home Slider.

I seem to recall "tenchi" being a word for the heavens, but I think the word they use for Heaven in the Christian sense may be different. Also, I haven't looked at Japanese at all lately, so I may be dead wrong.

Not sure about angel..

inori
10-30-2003, 06:57 AM
Heaven = tengoku
Angel = tenshi

First kanji is the same for both words.

Slider Zero
10-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks Inori. I was having a near Impossible time finding those.

TheGeepster
10-30-2003, 01:48 PM
My apologies on a really bad guess there. I just now looked it up myself, and inori is correct.

There is another entry for angel, "enjeru" but that's basically a morph of the English word into Japanese (written in katakana, or the phonetic symbols the Japanese use for foreign words.)

Heaven seems to mean "sky country".
Angel seems to be written as "sky officer".

Are these correct inori? You're much better at this than I.

inori
10-31-2003, 07:14 AM
Something like that, yes, Geepster. The first kanji, "ten", has something of a "heaven" meaning in and of itself, though it can also refer to "sky". The second in heaven, "goku", is simply country. I wasn't as sure about the "tenshi" second kanji; when it stands alone, it's the verb "tsukau", to use, so I looked it up in my giant kanji dictionary. :kawaii:

My giant kanji dictionary (in which I've never failed to find a kanji I sought, no matter how complex) says that the second kanji in "angel" can also mean messenger. So "tenshi" = heavenly messenger, roughly speaking.

TheGeepster
10-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Aaaah, cool. I had looked it up in a kanji guide book and it listed the radical on the right as "officer", but messenger is also quite reasonable reading. And the meaning of the kanji was listed as "use".