PDA

View Full Version : Can someone....

Bloodstar64
10-28-2003, 02:42 AM
...Tell me why the english version of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was toned down for its english release? And is there an unoffical patch for the japanese rom?

*b*
10-28-2003, 02:51 AM
the answer to your first question is simple, and you answered it yourself, it's the AMERICAN version. we never get the good translations...

take MMNT warrior for example. Netto-kun(Lan) asks Meiru-chan(Mayl) if she wants to go to the movies with him (he then gets his foot crushed and the wind knocked out of him by Meiru-chan). in tha AMERICAN version, he asks her if she want to go sing KAREOKE(SP!?)(and still gets his foot crushed and the wind knocked out of him by Meiru-chan)!!

it just goes to show you, that Japaneese - American translations are (almost) always toned down, especially for games and kid's shows.

and as for your second question, there isn't one to my knowledge

Bloodstar64
10-28-2003, 02:54 AM
Damn. They hid the fact that Mewt's father was drunk at the start.
Other things like swearing were cut and stuff. *sighs*

BTW did you notice that everyone got kicked off the forms for a few seconds?

TheGeepster
10-28-2003, 03:01 AM
So lemme get this right.. Movies are worse than karaoke?

Bloodstar64
10-28-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
So lemme get this right.. Movies are worse than karaoke?

I guess so. Then again they ARE on a nintendo system, and you do know what happend to FF4/2 right?

EDIT:I notice the following changes to FFTA

*They added a scene where Ritz and the Teacher show you how to play. That scene was not there in the japanese version
*The covered up the fact the Mewt's dad was drunk by adding two guys and making it look like he was having a hard time at work
*Swearing was removed, some plotholes caused.
*"The Quest for" Text was change to "Mission" in english release.
*World Law screen looked less cramped.
*The ending seems to have change some. (Accorading to the Translation Guide on Gamefaqs)

I'll keep looking.

Aegis Runestone
10-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Another thing is Japanese, in order to translate to English, MUST TONE IT DOWN.

First off, the Japanese can say much more in 3 lines than we can, why? There some symbols that are whole words. No, those symbols do not mean "a" or "I". :p I have a Japanese-->English Dictionary at home, there are just a lot less Japanese symbols in some words than English Letters(Japanese can be written in English: Kawaii and Baka are example words) in a word.

Secondly, The Japanese do not think highly of Americans. They think that we can't handle heavy subjects that they put in Animes and games. Sadly, most of the companies servicing animes are proving them right by making games and Anime for the Younger Generations. Why? Because those morons think that cartoons and video games are only for kids. Very sad.

On another note: I'm fine with Square removing curse words, I have always thought that curse words were one of the worst inventions of mankind.

Bloodstar64
10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Aegis Runestone
On another note: I'm fine with Square removing curse words, I have always thought that curse words were one of the worst inventions of mankind.

I would be fine with it too, if they had bothers not to add plot holes in.

Link 101
10-28-2003, 07:04 PM
I don't care about the swears, or even knowing Mewt's dad is a drunk. I just like to play it and have fun.