PDA

View Full Version : A new way to (legally) listen to music online

Paradox
10-27-2003, 05:05 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031027/ap_on_hi_te/file_swapping_alternative_2

Ich
10-27-2003, 05:16 PM
They underestimate the RIAA. They employ a lot of lawyers, they'll find a reason to sue them.

AlexMax
10-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Owned.

* AlexMax laughs his ass off

Slider Zero
10-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
Owned.

Indeed. The RIAA can't even touch them w/ a 30 ft. pole without facing severe legal consequences.

I think that there's a phrase that sums this up entirely....what was it....oh yeah....

Catchphrase of The Silent Assasain

KARMA, BITCH!

Pablo
10-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Too awesome. I can't wait until this makes it to the public domain.

cyberkiller6276
10-27-2003, 07:59 PM
That is cool. Just, downright cool.

gdorf
10-27-2003, 09:43 PM
It doesn't sound like much more than glorified radio. It isn't Cd quality, people can't save it to listen to it whenever they want, and the chances of it ever reaching the public are extremely slim.

Its just a buncha university radio stations. I'll stick with Bit-torrent.

stormwatcheagle
10-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by gdorf
It doesn't sound like much more than glorified radio. It isn't Cd quality, people can't save it to listen to it whenever they want, and the chances of it ever reaching the public are extremely slim.

Its just a buncha university radio stations. I'll stick with Bit-torrent.

?

It's just an Interactive DMX channel run through stardard cable, really. (Digital cable users will understand this)

And, it's LEGAL. The keyword here is LEGAL. Bit torrent is cool and all, but it's not LEGAL.

linkofzelda1
10-28-2003, 01:51 AM
I think it's an awesome idea. Hopefully it will reach here in Portland by the time I get to college.

TheGeepster
10-28-2003, 02:24 AM
Interesting technicality (and loophole).

I do think the RIAA will fight this concept, but with this method, the artists will be paid at least, unlike what happens in purely digital media..

The Savior
10-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
Interesting technicality (and loophole).

I do think the RIAA will fight this concept, but with this method, the artists will be paid at least, unlike what happens in purely digital media..

CDs, iTunes, and other legal sources of music are both digital and pay the artists. This has been a PSA from The Savior.

TheGeepster
10-28-2003, 11:07 PM
My apologies, Savior.. I overgeneralized it seems.

I had Napster and KaZaa in mind, and forgot about the more conventional CD. Not heard much about iTunes (my own ignorance)

theplustwo
10-29-2003, 01:23 PM
I don't know, the RIAA has a way of sueing everyone, and usually they win. They've already sued some other college kids for "running a 'Napster' like network on the college network."

I don't get that though, because you can't stop someone who is physically connected to another computer (over a LAN, like a college network) from sharing files. They could do it with drag'n'drop, for Pete's sake.

TheGeepster
10-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Intellectual property law clearly defines distinct and separate rights, including distribution rights versus a license for a work (which entitles the person to personal use of the intellectual property).

So RIAA does have a leg to stand on in suing those who run file-sharing services. Whether or not it should stand may depend on details on the running of the file-sharing network, but generally, these setups are on shaky ground.

linkofzelda1
11-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Sorry to be a topic digger... But I just wanted to add that this network was shut down. I think it's hilarious.

I found it on [http://www.slashdot.org]Slashdot.[/url]

The Savior
11-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
Intellectual property law clearly defines distinct and separate rights, including distribution rights versus a license for a work (which entitles the person to personal use of the intellectual property).

So RIAA does have a leg to stand on in suing those who run file-sharing services. Whether or not it should stand may depend on details on the running of the file-sharing network, but generally, these setups are on shaky ground.

Very well put. :thumbsup: