PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla

Starkist
10-25-2003, 02:42 AM
I just downloaded Mozilla and installed a plugin called "AdBlock". AdShield, which AdBlock seems to have copied (and improved!) was one of the reasons I stuck with Internet Explorer. With this plugin I can use Mozilla more often now.

I just wish it had Opera's mouse gestures, is there a plugin for that?

By the by, I'll still keep IE around of course. My webpage I'm designing uses quite a lot of CSS, including IE alpha filters. It doesn't look right in Mozilla without the filters...

Screenie (www.ywave.com/~almonfam/files/moz.gif)

I'm using a WinXP theme called WindowsXPMax, by the way. Nice and purple. :)

MrCow
10-25-2003, 07:43 AM
I've been using Mozilla Firebird for a while now. Overall seems faster and better then IE. You should try it out if you like mozilla.

Ian
10-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by MrCow
I've been using Mozilla Firebird for a while now. Overall seems faster and better then IE. You should try it out if you like mozilla.

Firebird is about twice as fast as IE, and much more stable, for me at least.

Goat
10-25-2003, 10:28 AM
No google toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com) Tunaman? The Google toolbar owns j00 (http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books/img/to-love-a-fellow-jew.jpg)!!!

Rijuhn
10-25-2003, 11:40 AM
I use MyIE2 which has a pop-up blocker, and it works very well I must say. It also has tabbed windows, and mouse geustures, though I've haven't used them so I can't really tell you if they are good or not. It has no trouble at all compiling HTML or other code. It's just like IE without the crap, and with some extra good stuff.

I strongly suggest you check it out: www.myie2.com

Pablo
10-25-2003, 11:50 AM
I use Firebird and it is blazing fast as well as pretty reliable. However, I do have problems with certain .PNG images, and also certain sites (like Angelfire, for example.) I dunno why I have problems, but I'm willing to deal with these little snafus for a browser that's as clean and fast as Firebird.

By the way, what are mouse gestures?

Goat
10-25-2003, 12:07 PM
I just liek regular ie, dont feel a need for all that extra shit. The google toolbar blocks popups, i'm looking at it right now and it says 488 popups blocked, i think ive had maybe 2 popups since i installed on this puter.

Starkist
10-25-2003, 02:38 PM
AdBlock, and AdShield on IE, didn't just block popups, but they also block any images you specify. Bye bye banner ads! Even flash. AdBlock takes it a step further and blocks iframes. It's lovely.

I've used Firebird, MyIE, Opera... you name it. IE is still one of the best.

Raichu86
10-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
I've used Firebird, MyIE, Opera... you name it. IE is still one of the best.
I don't know how you can say that. It's featureless (can't disable popups, doesn't have tabs, can't be skinned, etc...), insecure, and doesn't even properly support modern web technologies! IE is making web developers less willing to use modern technologies to design their site because they don't want the 97% of users (those who use IE) to not be able to properly view their site.

I love developing web pages, but I'm tired of the stress I have to go through to make sure it renders properly for IE users. I'm tired of having to use tables to lay out my pages... so I'm just going to quit doing it! IE users can get a web browser that supports standards, or they can just not be able to view my stuff. It's that simple.

I honestly don't understand why anybody would continue using it after trying Mozilla, or especially Opera, for just few a minutes. :shrug:

Matt
10-25-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
I just wish it had Opera's mouse gestures, is there a plugin for that?
http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/

vegeta1215
10-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Mozilla is nice, but it is big and bulky. Firebird is faster and leaner, but it is still beta software and there are issues involving plugins in the Windows version, and currently upgrading requires re-creating your profile. But both use the Gecko rendering engine, which is ok, but it's not the best.

I find Opera to be the best browser available. It's rendering engine Presto is unbeatable, and is up to date with current web standards. Also, Opera is the most customizable of all the browsers and has some of the coolest features.

Rainman
10-26-2003, 04:02 PM
I've got Mozilla and it seems nice; however, I have touched the thing for a while. I don't know, it just always felt like an inconvience when using Mozilla. IE's been working fine for me and that google toolbar (thanks goat) will make it even better.

AtmaWeapon
10-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Right now I use Avant Browser on WinXP and Firebird on Linux. Firebird is nice, but lacks many features of Avant Browser. Basically, Avant Browser is a wrapper over IE that runs it in an MDI interface. In other words, tabbed browsing. You can block popups and flash animations, but not with the same level of control as AdShield.

What is missing from Firebird to me? (All of these work in Avant Browser)
1) When opening a link that wants to spawn a new window, I want it to open in a tab. (This could be deep down in the preferences, though)
2) MOUSE GESTURES.
3) I don't care about standards, I want my text box in its big, IE-scoffing-at-the-standard glory.

Otherwise, I like it.

Raichu86
10-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
What is missing from Firebird to me? (All of these work in Avant Browser)
1) When opening a link that wants to spawn a new window, I want it to open in a tab. (This could be deep down in the preferences, though)
Opera has that. And if it doesn't want to spawn a new window, you can drag it to the page bar (tab bar) or right click the link for opening options.

2) MOUSE GESTURES.
Opera has that. :p

3) I don't care about standards, I want my text box in its big, IE-scoffing-at-the-standard glory.
You mean like the text box for a post at AGN? Well, Opera obeys CSS's width attribute on form elements, so if the page author has specified it to be big, it will be big. Otherwise, you could probably make it nice and wide by changing the font Opera uses for multi-line text inputs to a fixed one. For me, the textarea at AGN is just a little wider than the width of the quick vBCode buttons.

vegeta1215
10-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Wow Raichu, you posted everything I was going to say...weird.

I reiterate, Opera kicks ass. A lot of people still complain because it's proprietary software, but just because it's not open source, doesn't mean it's bad. For one thing, Opera is very good about fixing bugs - especially security bugs. A while back they released a new version of Opera with fixes for a security hole the DAY AFTER the vulnerability was announced. Also, with a few exceptions, all the inovation in the browser world is coming from Opera. They have created the coolest features which everyone else has cloned, and have some cool features unique to Opera.

gdorf
10-27-2003, 06:58 PM
I've been using Firebird since the Beta's were first released under the name phoenix. I love how sleek and straightforeward it is. There no extra gimicks, no flashy features, and no bloated add-ons.

Firebird simply has a pop-up blocker, a google search area in the upper-right, and a super fast browser all wrapped up in about 7 megs. Opera is a great browser too, that seems very fast, and is loaded with features, but I never ended up using many of the features. I like a very clean interface, and Firebird can provide that for me.

Also, although Firebird is in the beta stages, I have experienced almost no problems with it. In the beginning there were a few bugs, but most of them have long-since been worked out. Firebird is a rock-solid browser I can recommend to anyone.

AtmaWeapon
10-27-2003, 07:50 PM
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Avant browser is nothing more than IE with tabbed browsing, a popup stopper, and a google search bar in the upper right-hand corner, all in 2.95 megs.

Firebird is made by wizards and warlocks, and is therefore bugless and perfect, unlike IE, that treasure-trove of bugs. Why Bugzilla is only reporting 6 critical bugs ( all crashes ) and 96 bugs total for the Windows version. Granted, most of them are exotic, but it's beta software, so I'm sure that by the time it gets to version 0.8 everything will be ironed out. So don't tell me my browser sucks and has bugs, K?