PDA

View Full Version : The Truth Is Out There...

zfreak2004
10-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Hey, Check this out.
Here. (http://coinop.org/g.aspx/103223/Polybius.html)

This is pretty weird, probably an Urban Legend... I'm wondering if anyone has found anything conclusive on this one way or the other. I've done some Google searches, but thats about it... My friend told me about it in Graphic Arts class today... Like I said, it sounds like an urban legend... but part of it just sort of freaks you out...

cyberkiller6276
10-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Never heard of it. Yeah, it does sound like an urban legend, though I have heard something of another arcade game with the similar results.

:shrug:

Pablo
10-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by snopes.com
Polybius

This game had a very limited release, one or two backwater arcades in a suburb of Portland. The history of this game is cloudy, there were all kinds of strange stories about how kids who played it got amnesia afterwards, couldn't remember their name or where they lived, etc. The bizarre rumors about this game are that it was supposedly developed by some kind of weird military tech offshoot group, used some kind of proprietary behavior modification algorithms developed for the CIA or something, kids who played it woke up at night screaming, having horrible nightmares.

http://coinop.org/g.aspx/103223/Polybius.html

No arcade game called Polybius induced amnesia, caused gamers to wake up screaming in the middle of the night, or attracted the attention of mysterious "men in black" who periodically came to "collect records" from Portland-area machines. This one is just a gag someone invented several years ago which has now become enshrined on the web, another version of the conspiracy rumors involving military intelligence agents visiting arcades to collect stored information from game consoles which date to at least the early 1980s. (Back then we were supposed to watch out for men in black who came around to take down the initials of high scorers at Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Defender.)

:)

Kirby of Doom
10-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Plus, they obviously have no ROM since if they did they would want everyone to download it as proof. ;)