PDA

View Full Version : Getting some cash soon...

Slider Zero
10-23-2003, 11:22 AM
...So which system should I get (seeing as i have none of the next-gen consoles)?

I'm open to suggestions on anything here. (Just don't tell me to get an N-Gage, as then I will show you exactly how someone can be kicked through a monitor, comprende?)

Kirby of Doom
10-23-2003, 12:30 PM
I have a Gamecube and it's really cool (ok, it's not so cool). If you're not a Nintendo fan, then you might want to try the X-BOX. Or if you have a lot of money you might get both. ;)

AlexMax
10-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Depends.

If you want to play online (trust me, nobody thinks they want to until they do), then without a doubt splurge and go for an Xbox with Xbox Live. Once you do, you will never go back.

If you are absolutely posatively sure that you don't want to play online, get a Gamecube.

Slider Zero
10-23-2003, 05:15 PM
I got a PC. That's enough online for me :) (at least...for now)

Bloodstar64
10-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Slider Zero
I got a PC. That's enough online for me :) (at least...for now)

What kinda games are you after...

If its in terms of FPS then the xbox and ps2 would be your best bet...

Platformers are on the GC so that may be one too.

And don't forget SC2 is on all systems

Pablo
10-23-2003, 06:00 PM
PlayStation 2 has the largest variety of games (and in my humble opinion, the best-designed controller...the GC is too small for someone with large hands like me and the XBOX one just feels wrong :shrug: ), and more keep coming. Also keep in mind that it is the primary home of the Final Fantasy series as well as having a massive amount of PS1 games that work perfectly with it. I have a PS2 and I frelling love the thing.

Also, the emulation scene is a lot of fun. I don't know how much about it I'm allowed to discuss, but let's just say you're able to get a ton of wonderful classics through your Internet connection. Check around.

Maverick_Zero
10-23-2003, 06:12 PM
N-Gage, c'mon it's go PC games on a 2 inch screen and has a terrible controls, who wouldnt' want one.

X-Box, I mean, c'mon Panzer Dragoon Orta, if you're into Panzer Dragoon that is.

Althought, ps2, that's for anybody, like bloodstar said, Gamecube's got the classics, but they're turning pretty much everything into super kiddie happy games.

Daarkseid
10-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
Also, the emulation scene is a lot of fun. I don't know how much about it I'm allowed to discuss, but let's just say you're able to get a ton of wonderful classics through your Internet connection. Check around.

You can discuss anything pertaining to emulation, even roms! You can also distribute freeware emulators and public domain roms!

What you CANNOT do is post links to roms or distribute roms or pirated software.

You could go on and on endlessly, about burning a legend of zelda rom(an IDSA protected game) and NES emu to a CD, and running it on the PSX, even linking to where you got the emulator, that would be fine! Unless you were stupid enough to post a link to the Zelda rom or to a site where it can be downloaded, then you would have to be taken down in an instant.

Slider Zero
10-23-2003, 08:39 PM
I already know about the EMU scene...and am th owner of several classic games as we speak. Truth be told, it is my opinion that the games for the older systems should be okay (read: made legal) to download and distribute because of the increasingly difficult time most would have attempting to locate those games, let alone the systems they run on.

And note that while the gamecube may not have any really "mature" games YET, they are on the way....it doesn't help much that nintendo is seen as the disney of the gaming industry, when they were among the first to put Mortal Kombat on the SNES. (and we ALL know about MK) :mischief:

Sorry to shoot ya down, Maverick_Zero, but the N-Gage is a complete waste of time in my opinion. I refuse to blow $300+ on a portable game system when I can easily get a GBA-SP and a 120MB Flash avance cart for much less, and STILL have access to the entire library of GB/A games. Not to mention that i could easily put some upgrades on my comp for that much. Not worth it.

Keep the suggestions coming Guys....I haven't made a choice YET.

(keep in mind that average Total cost for a "absolute necessity" package is a factor too. the bare necesities include extra controllers, mem. cards, etc.)

linkofzelda1
10-23-2003, 09:12 PM

Sorry to shoot ya down, Maverick_Zero, but the N-Gage is a complete waste of time in my opinion. I refuse to blow $300+ on a portable game system when I can easily get a GBA-SP and a 120MB Flash avance cart for much less, and STILL have access to the entire library of GB/A games. Not to mention that i could easily put some upgrades on my comp for that much. Not worth it.

Actually, I think he was being sarcastic. ;)

Pablo
10-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
You can discuss anything pertaining to emulation, even roms! You can also distribute freeware emulators and public domain roms!

What you CANNOT do is post links to roms or distribute roms or pirated software.

You could go on and on endlessly, about burning a legend of zelda rom(an IDSA protected game) and NES emu to a CD, and running it on the PSX, even linking to where you got the emulator, that would be fine! Unless you were stupid enough to post a link to the Zelda rom or to a site where it can be downloaded, then you would have to be taken down in an instant.

What about abandonware? Is that legal as well?

Maverick_Zero
10-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by linkofzelda1
Actually, I think he was being sarcastic. ;)

Yeah, I was. -_-

Why would I want one when I made fun of the 2 inch screen and the terrible controls directly in my post.

Pablo
10-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Maverick_Zero
Yeah, I was. -_-

Why would I want one when I made fun of the 2 inch screen and the terrible controls directly in my post.

Why wouldn't you want a system that looks like it's a taco alien trying to eat your brain every time you attempt to use its phone function?

That's a comedy gold mine you're missing out on, my friend.

Also, Slider, if you've got cash to burn, try EverQuest. I've heard it's sorta addictive ;) You don't even need a really high-end system to run it, and it's a cheaper alternative to buying a system.

MottZilla
10-24-2003, 02:03 AM
(read: made legal)

They will be, atleast some of them in about 80 years when the copyright expires and the works goto public domain... However something like Final Fantasy, or Mega Man may be much longer. Because of sequels and other things, these titles may be copyrighted/protected indefinitly.

Anyway, I highly doubt Nintendo or anyone will care about you bootlegging some games from the 80s.

slayer6896
10-25-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Pablo
What about abandonware? Is that legal as well?

Most of the time abandonware is illegal. The only times it isnt is when the company goes under and no one holds the copywirte to the game or if the company puts it out for free. Kinda like what Rockstar did with GTA 1 when they made it free to downlaod.

As with console games the copywrites would end around 75-80 years after the last game under the copywrite was made.

Blonde799
10-25-2003, 11:58 AM
If you're looking for a cheap console, GC is the way to go. Although, you should probably wait until that bonus disc comes out when you buy a GC, or whatever. Makes $99 go further with like, 4 extra games.:)

Personally, if I had enough money to buy a console and one game, I'd buy a PS2 and get RPG Maker 2(another pointless "my favorite game of the year" plug, enjoy).