PDA

View Full Version : Violent behaviour from videogames controversy, again:

tgf_guy
10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/10/22/videogame.lawsuit.ap/index.html

Your thoughts?

Naturally, it is not crazy or rediculous to think that something like video games may have an effect on violent individuals. Yet it seems more prevelant that seeing a violent movie connects itself more with them wanting to play a violent video game, than playing a violent video game and then wanting to see a violent movie.

The main reason is that the action given on-screen is something people cannot control, yet the people in the audience want, very often, to be the person on-screen. Video games give the medium to do so. Whereas, when you're playing a video game, you are already in control, so wanting to do something where you are not in control is often less appealing. However, when someone sees a violent movie, but do not have any mediums like video games to take out this sense of wanting to be the "hero" what do they do, then?

Slider Zero
10-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Dunno about that, but i do know that this lawsuit is fulla crap.
havent those people ever heard about parental responsibilty?

Blonde799
10-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Not when money's involved.

cyberkiller6276
10-22-2003, 05:31 PM
One thing that people have to understand is that those two boys made a decision on their own. The game did not control them. Video games do not control you. You can't place the blame on a piece of software. There are millions of people who play violent video games. So how come we don't millions outwardly violent people? Because the game does not drive you. Some people can be so stupid :disgust:

Blonde799
10-22-2003, 05:34 PM
Greed is the only thing that can bring americans together now....:p

Does that mean we won't see another GTA?:laughing:

Slider Zero
10-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Oh believe me, there will be another GTA. Rockstar isn't gonna let this crap take them outta the picture.

TheGeepster
10-23-2003, 03:07 PM
My own viewpoint is twofold.

These boys are responsible for their own actions, aand clearly ought to be charged without making the video-game the scapegoat.

However, on the flip side, what you feed into your mind DOES have an effect on what your mind produces. So I also believe that GTA did have a role to play in these shootings, because it fills young minds with the idea that senseless violence and a crime-filled lifestyle is OK.

Now should people be able to tell the difference between a videogame and real life? Sure. But many of those who use video games as an escape or as entertainment often lose focus on the line between the real and the fantasy. And when that happens, they fall on the values they've been exposed to, which includes those values they pick up in the games they play.

And so I believe games like GTA are a bad thing. This, of course, is the unpopular opinion, I'm sure.

MottZilla
10-23-2003, 03:23 PM
I disagree. Games like GTA are NOT bad for the intended audience. Which is, according to the ESRB, 17+/Mature. This would mean you are sane, and old enough to know better than to do anything stupid. I totally agree kids should not be playing games like GTA.

cyberkiller6276
10-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
And so I believe games like GTA are a bad thing. This, of course, is the unpopular opinion, I'm sure. Seconded.

Also, Suprisingly, (to most people) I did not find the game all too fun.