PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft says Apple iTunes is too proprietary

AlexMax
10-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Seriously, is this like the pot calling the kettle black or what?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/33468.html

Of all people to complain about proprietary file formats and services, MICROSOFT is the one to do it. Seriously, this is the funniest shit I've read all week...

/me falls over laughing.

Starkist
10-22-2003, 03:00 PM
( %Starkist ) Apple iTunes is the devil
( @Breaker ) erm
( @Breaker ) apples and evil go hand in hand
( %Starkist ) I downloaded it just to try out the player.... when I saw a check box that was on by default that said "organize my music" I figured it would organize it in its own library, like WMP
( %Starkist ) Bah.... it renamed and moved around every single MP3 =(
( @Breaker ) lol
( @Breaker ) it created its own directories?
( %Starkist ) Yup
( %Starkist ) Made directories for artists, albums, and then the filename was the title
( %Starkist ) So I'm slowly reorganizing my files...
( @Breaker ) evil
( DarkPanther ) omg
! @Breaker throwns down his bastard crown and mails it to apple

The Savior
10-22-2003, 09:25 PM
There is an option for iTunes not to fuck up your files, but I'm not sure if it's possible to choose it before the damage is done.

vegeta1215
10-22-2003, 11:10 PM
I think iTunes is pretty sweet. If it's as nice on Windows as it is on the Mac, more power to Apple.

I read the article the other day. Windows is just afraid cause Apple is doing something that's offering a great alternative for purchasing music online. Sure, there are some restrictions, but not as much as all the DRM stuff Microsoft wants to pull off in the future.

One of the keys points of the article talks about how not all portable music players can play the AAC format. Big whoop. iPods play it, and iPods are freakin sweet. Someone please tell MS to stop whining over the competition.

Zeo
10-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Itunes to priporitory?

LIke IE making its own web Standards isn't?

Microsoft needs broken up, big time.............that's utterly redicoulos.

Rainman
10-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Why does Microsoft need to be broken up? It makes Windows, various software packages, and the X-box. What would it be broken up into?

Starkist
10-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Go become the next Bill Gates instead of whining about the current one.

Breaker
10-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Heh, taking anyone seriously with this garbage in their signature.

Zeo's Signature
Why O why can we translate the ENTIRE works of Shakespheare into Klingon, but not translate World History from other countries into English so us Americans aren't so stupidly ignorant all the time? (Food for thought) ~Zeo

Cloral
10-29-2003, 08:41 PM
There are still a lot of companies that have done a lot of illegal stuff without being punished for it. Microsoft is just one of them. I don't want to stir up the debates again (largely because I just don't care any more), so I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy an iPod, as I already have an MP3 CD player (4 CDs = 60 hours of music) which works plenty well. I have no problem with the way iTunes works though. Sure, open standards are nice, but you know full well going in that it works this way, so nobody really has a right to complain. And it seems to me that the only one complaining right now is the MS guy.