PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see a "preview" in qst form?

ShadowTiger
10-21-2003, 11:40 AM
If someone was going to release a quest, instead of showing a full fledged demo of the quest, do you think it would be at least .. not unpleasant, to receive an interactive slideshow for the quest, rather than actually let you play a part of it? You would get to go through a (musically enhanced, of course.) slideshow documenting the areas of the game.

OR, perhaps you could view a little intro, with an explosive / powerful conclusion that leaves you wanting to play the actual game.

What do you think? Opinions? Note that nothing like this is in the works as far as I know, so don't go throwing things at me.

Petoe
10-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
Note that nothing like this is in the works as far as I know, so don't go throwing things at me. You're wrong. ;)
Thanks for the great tip, BH4!

jman2050
10-21-2003, 12:56 PM
heh heh. Let's just say life is good when you have two computers, an ATI All-in-Wonder, some S-Video cables, and lots of time to kill. Not that I'm hinting at anything... (i am :P )

Nick
10-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
If someone was going to release a quest, instead of showing a full fledged demo of the quest, do you think it would be at least .. not unpleasant, to receive an interactive slideshow for the quest, rather than actually let you play a part of it? You would get to go through a (musically enhanced, of course.) slideshow documenting the areas of the game.

OR, perhaps you could view a little intro, with an explosive / powerful conclusion that leaves you wanting to play the actual game.

Anything like this would be a complete and utter waste of my time. Seriously... I have dialup. Considering most quests these days are approaching 3 megs and above... downloading a 3 meg or above slideshow wouldn't fit well with me.

As for other people... they might like downloading the stuff just to get an idea of what the quest will be like closer... but I don't see people like myself who crave to actually play quests getting such things... especially if they are short lived. :shrug:

Edit: Changed some wording in my last bit there. :blah:

Ian
10-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Well, I like the idea. If you have an intro in your quest, put that in it, and then give a litte briefing about some of the things that will be in the quest (maybe a few screenshots of the areas in the quest, but you can have a screen where you pick the place you want to look at. For example, "press right for Leafy Forest" with a a tree or two over the text, and then "press up for Freaky Falls" and so on)

idontknow
10-21-2003, 08:57 PM
i like the idea--i mean, i'd like to see it & all, except why waste your time making a "quest" which previews the "actual quest" when you could simply be working on the "actual quest" itself and thus having it get completed all the sooner? if you could make this "slideshow" without wasting too much time, i suppose it might be a good idea...well, ok, my final verdict is that if it can be done efficiently, i'd say go for it!

*b*
10-21-2003, 09:12 PM
it's a sound idea, BH4, but a little on the impossible side. it would be cool, however, if ZQuest could play/record AVI files. that way, we could have cutscenes and the like, as well as the preview you're suggesting

idontknow
10-21-2003, 09:44 PM
i think what BH4 means is having like screens from his shots, but then hiding link & using timed warps & such, have each screen shot go from one to the next in a series, so that you can see various parts of the quest, but without playing--thus, its a "quest" file that previews the actual "quest"...get it? i really don't think its that bad an idea--he could even add some strings explaining various parts of the quest, or giving little hints (as a token of appreciation to other players for taking the time to download the preview)

ShadowTiger
10-22-2003, 07:43 AM
it's a sound idea, BH4, but a little on the impossible side. it would be cool, however, if ZQuest could play/record AVI files. that way, we could have cutscenes and the like, as well as the preview you're suggesting I meant in .qst format. And I think it WOULD be possible, but via a ML-style banner. :shrug:

Sephiroth
10-22-2003, 09:01 AM
I think the idea is to get a flash maker and use it to make flash images that also have sounds in the background. :p Then the image will be in the .swf format.

EDIT: I added a few words here & there. :blah:

Mr. Z
10-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Ohh, that's a cool idea, luckily I'm not crazy enough to make something like that :ooh:

Demimore
10-24-2003, 03:10 AM
Grr!! You stole my idea! Except that quest format thing. That's just stupid, and USELESS. AVI files, or something like that, would be a LOT better.

And then, you could add sound effects and wave (file format) music to it. Just to make it cool. Just like a trailer of sorts. I am speaking of a trailer of sorts, now. Not a slideshow.

I'll just do that right away..

ShadowTiger
10-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Heh. Makes me wish I had flash. :shy: Ah, the possibilities.

Can you think of any way to show a slide-show, outside of a .qst file, but with a midi playing? There's nothing stopping the person from just not playing the midis, adding them to his/her collection immediately, and deleting the images.

jman2050
10-24-2003, 01:27 PM
There are ways to make an AVI of ANYTHING that happens on your computer. however, it requires two computers, patience, and a bit of equipment, but it can be done. Good thing I have all the required equipment right here in my house :D .