PDA

View Full Version : Ok, you can stop raining now.

Ganonator
10-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Living in Montana most of my life, I'm used to rain storms that are incredible, dump insane amounts of water on my property, and leave within the hour. This was before I moved to Seattle and realized IT NEVER STOPS RAINING.

Today, according to the local news, was the rainiest day in Seattle history with an incredible 3.5"+ of rain dropped in less than 24 hours. Massive flooding everywhere, you can't go anywhere without getting drenched, and everybody has digressed into shell mode. Lovely.

To open this up, have any of you been in a massive flooding situation?

Crazy_Link
10-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Sometimes in Houston... like Allison (when Allison striked, it rained for half of the day and all night) and a couple more

Pablo
10-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Unfortunately for me, my town has an excellent drainage system. I love rainy days, but where I live, they dry up fast Meaning no "flood days" off school for me :(

Starkist
10-21-2003, 01:34 AM
I love rain. That's why I live in Washington. Days and days of endless rain make you appreciate the sun more, though. :)

inori
10-21-2003, 04:59 AM
I've seen two really bad flooding situations. One was back when I was in junior high or high school (I think it was 1993 or so, if my memory serves)... that year when there were floods all over the Midwest. Well, there were some nasty ones near my house that year. In one storm, water ran over a road about two miles from our house. One idiot tried to drive through it, got washed off the road, further demonstrated idiocy by panicking, and eventually became a Darwin Award candidate, drowning in the car.

The other was three years ago, when I lived in Nagoya. It had been raining most of the day, and the storm became bad that evening. Luckily, our apartment building was on a hill, but there was a river a couple of blocks away, and many of the nearby streets flodded with as much as several feet of water. We went wandering/wading around in the flood (okay, probably not the brightest plan). For some reason, they didn't have the subway station closed, so we went downstairs and got a look at a flooded subway station (quite a bizarre sight). We also fished another car-driving idiot out of his vehicle when he didn't abandon it soon enough, and the car started to float.

And it's raining now in Osaka, by the way. Again.

Yoshiman
10-21-2003, 06:28 AM
I've never really seen a big flood here. I think the biggest one we had was at a grocery store down the road from my house. The worst we got was some hail. But the store's parking lot was completely flooded. I think it was something like 1997 when it happened.

ShadowTiger
10-21-2003, 07:30 AM
:D .. I love Rain. .. :D

Every time it rains, we get our own little "Lake Oceanside" in the little circular driveway in front of our school. And when I was in K-8th grade, I went to The Hebrew Academy of Long Beach, which flooded quite periodically. :naughty: It was so delightful. We would actually go swimming in there. ;) That was fun. No one could stop us because no teacher would dare approach the rapidly rising water.

I am a fool. I, am a very wet and happy fool. *BH4 goes all bouncy*

Prrkitty
10-21-2003, 03:03 PM
When Paul and I first moved to Vancouver, WA .. January 1996, that Winter had so much snow it closed Portland to traffic and in the spring from Woodland, WA to Vancouver the rivers were flooded bad in the lower areas along their paths.

Starkist
10-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Prrkitty
When Paul and I first moved to Vancouver, WA .. January 1996, that Winter had so much snow it closed Portland to traffic and in the spring from Woodland, WA to Vancouver the rivers were flooded bad in the lower areas along their paths.

I remember that... we were down there visiting family that winter, and spent our visit snowed in. That was when my great-grandmother died, in fact, on my 13th birthday. :)

Maverick_Zero
10-21-2003, 03:38 PM
There was some pretty bad raining around me over the summer. For about 2 weeks the clouds never really cleared. It rained at least every other day, but usually once every few hours. Nothing as bad as what some of you said though, but alot of basements got pretty destroyed, ours, we just had to put in some new carpet after the rainy season ended.

Prrkitty
10-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Starkist, I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family around that time. Deaths are always hard to deal with.

The area Paul and I live in now, Beaverton, Hillsboro and Aloha, never seems to have much problem with flooding. Although I am a bit anxious about the conservation area directly behind our apartment... I don't believe it will flood us if it ever filled up. I think we're high enough that the water will flood elsewhere before it reaches us.

I do like that the racoons come in at night and peek thru our back door to see if I'll come put any bread out for 'em. Paul keeps saying they have me "well trained" <lol>. One of the racoons brought her young'un in with her about 3-4 weeks ago. And watching the little one (we call it Hoover Junior) (and they're all Hoover (cause the suck up the food on the patio like a vacuum cleaner). One's Hoover light, one's Hoover Dark and etc.

:)

DarkDragoonX
10-21-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Ganonator
Today, according to the local news, was the rainiest day in Seattle history with an incredible 3.5"+ of rain dropped in less than 24 hours.

Those who don't live in Seattle have *NO IDEA* how accurate this is. After you've spent any significant amount of time in Seattle, you start to wonder why it is cars, people, and household pets aren't covered in mildew.

Massive flooding everywhere, you can't go anywhere without getting drenched, and everybody has digressed into shell mode. Lovely.

If you REALLY want to see shell mode, wait until your first time being in Seattle after it's snowed a half-inch. Having grown up in a snowy region, it doesn't bother me, but most people who live in Seattle are scared shitless of snow. It's great entertainment, really.

DarkDragoonX
10-21-2003, 06:38 PM
--Whoops. Didn't mean to double post.--