PDA

View Full Version : Seems these forums have died down...

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
10-16-2003, 07:03 AM
I was here a long while back... Maybe about 2 years and there seemed to be alot more activity around here. I left for a while and than came back around last July, than left for about 3 months and here I am again :ooh: . So uh what happened?

cyberkiller6276
10-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Yes, I'd have to agre with you. When I joined in feburary, there seemed to be alot more activity. It died down about the middle of august, I think. It seemes that the number of active users has greatly decreased.

Blonde799
10-16-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by cyberkiller6276
It died down about the middle of august, I think.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that people have work and school to deal with during the late 3rd-4th quarter of the year. Most the decreased activity is due to having school though.

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
10-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Its good in a way... Now if I post something and leave for a day or 2 I don't have to go digging around to see the replys :D .

Oh and actually before july it was still pretty active during school when I was around... But that was WAAAAY back.

Pablo
10-16-2003, 11:40 AM
AGN has its high and low points, I suppose. The amount of activity we've got here doubles or even triples some other forums, so I don't particularly mind a lull in posting.

Dechipher
10-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Lemme think...we've "lost" DC, Cyclone, GTG, among others. They all had really high post counts, indicating they posted a lot. We've lost a ton of members.

Kirby of Doom
10-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Well, it's probably not a good idea to just be on the forums for too long. Come here for a little while, go do something else, and come back later. There will be new posts. ;)
Anyway it's not a good idea to be on the computer for too much (yet I do it - hypocrisy! :rolleyes: )

Pablo
10-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Dechipher
Lemme think...we've "lost" DC, Cyclone, GTG, among others. They all had really high post counts, indicating they posted a lot. We've lost a ton of members.

How could you forget TSA?

cyberkitten
10-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Dechipher

people come and go. it happens, and for the most part we know when we're gonna see drops and surges. we'll get a big surge around thanksgiving, christmas/new years break (school's out and people are on vacation), spring break when the younger kids have time off and don't actually go anywhere. and then the giant surge of n00bs at the beginning of the summer. alot of 'em are either banned within a couple of days or post a few times and forget about us or lose interest. and we're coming up on the end of the first quarter of school for a lot of people and they're studying instead of hanging out here (silly kids ;) ) i wouldn't say we've "lost" a lot of people though.

Gerudo
10-16-2003, 02:43 PM
pretty much, people have their own reasons for their decrease in posting... me for example, i have my own site that is my primary focus now, and post here (more often though because mine is an upstart)... i do like not seeing a good topic dive to page 2 before i get a chance to see/reply though. the dying down is really a good thing... in a way :)

TheGeepster
10-16-2003, 02:48 PM
I noticed also that we've lost some scum and villainy. *sigh* Attendance might come up here in a bit though.

Mitsukara
10-16-2003, 03:11 PM
CK put it very well... attendance and forum activity tend to vary a lot over time, for various reasons, some of which are fairly common. Some people leave or are banned (or both), some have things they have to do that tie up their time, new people join, people come back, people get some free time and decide to hang out here... it's largely case by case, but seasonal things, especially school, tend to effect it quite a bit also.

And then you've got the weird people like me, who seem to make a habit of joining, hanging around a year, "leaving", coming back 6 months later, hanging around for a year, getting sparse and tied up in other things so much they barely post, then come back and are suddenly regulars again... it all depends on the person and how things are going in their life.

Things don't really seem to be going all that downhill here, though... granted, things seemed to move a bit more hastily in summer, especially the previous two summers (though I wasn't here very much this summer until late July, so I don't know), but things are pretty lively now. After all, when you've got a mostly-constant 10-25 or so people on most of the time, and most of them post at least once while they're on, things can't be going too slowly... and it'll probably pick up around Christmas, then again during spring break, then in large masses towards the beginning of Summer...

Rafnul
10-16-2003, 11:31 PM
I've been around AGN for a while, and it seems as though people are always convinced its dying. Well, I have news for you, that might startle you, its not dead yet. I don't know what it is about this place, but as it is, it will probably always exist in some form or another. This isn't just a forum or a website, it's a community. AGN is made up of the members; the forums are just an amazingly useful tool for communication.

Ich
10-17-2003, 12:01 PM
A recent lull might be a result of the lack of the Quick Reply box, because I am guessing that many 56k users like myself don't reply to a topic unless they have something brutally important to say, because you have to wait for the reply box to show up. I have slowed down my posting and just lurked more because most of the time I can't be arsed to bother with the "Post Reply" page.

vegeta1215
10-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
A recent lull might be a result of the lack of the Quick Reply box, because I am guessing that many 56k users like myself don't reply to a topic unless they have something brutally important to say, because you have to wait for the reply box to show up. I have slowed down my posting and just lurked more because most of the time I can't be arsed to bother with the "Post Reply" page.

Disabling animated gifs in your browser settings helps. Also choosing to not view signatures and/or avatars in your User CP also helps tremendously. Even better is the minimalist post view, which I used all summer since I was on dial-up, but SB has to add that hack back in yet.

But yeah, the forums have ups and downs. I thought this past summer would be a little busier than it was, but I think things will change this winter.

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
10-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Out of all the forums I've been to this is the most organized. This is the first forum I ever went to.

Jigglysaint
10-17-2003, 12:32 PM
I do have to agree there. This was the first forum I ever came to, and mainly the point of why I even bother to register an e-mail account. As for it's "dying" thing, I really don't think so. I've seen this place though many difficulties and even come close to the other side before, but no matter what, I'm going to try to remain active here, even if I have some new found stigmas attached to my name.

Of couse nothing breaths more life into the forums than a release of Zelda Classic. :hint:

Ich
10-17-2003, 04:25 PM
We don't need a new release of another beta. We've got most of the functionality we're going to get in 2 implemented in the most recent beta, and now it seems more like, "Alright already, let's get the new version out."

gdorf
10-17-2003, 06:48 PM
AGN will never come down due to lack of interest. There are way too many people literally addicted to this place for it to die (and no, that is not a bad thing :) )