PDA

View Full Version : I need a free forum

Draconis
10-15-2003, 02:34 PM
I am setting up a site at: http://earth.prohosting.com/dsilver/ and would like to find a free forum to put on my site. The current one (ezboard) may expire in 30 days... not sure tho. So could you guys help me out?

cyberkiller6276
10-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Do you want free boards? If so, try porboards. It will never be as great as vBulletin (the god of all boards) but it is better than ezboards.

ShadowTiger
10-15-2003, 02:49 PM
:odd:... Wow. There is so much good stuff here.

* Gives Draconis a shopping cart. :p

OK, first of all, we have Invisionfree.com. I would check it out quite quickly. They have completely free ones, but with an ad. You can't install hacks though, not to my knowledge. But you get to do any forum administrator would be able to do, unrestricted. You can mess with the skins, upload pips, make ranks, etc. The whole Schebang.

Then there's www.bbfree.com I think. They are similar to Invisionfree, but with the "real" system. You still can't install hacks, but it's better than Invisionfree.

I'm sure there are a myriad of others, but don't bother with those, when these will suffice just fine. ;)

Draconis
10-15-2003, 02:54 PM
cyberkiller, do you mean proboards?

ShadowTiger
10-15-2003, 02:58 PM
I think it was implied. ;) :rolleyes: But really, check out www.bbfree.com. It simply ownz.

Gerudo
10-15-2003, 03:49 PM
if you MYSQL and php on your server, i suggest going with InvisionBoard (www.invisionboard.com), if not, invisionfree is the next best thing...

that bbfree.com didnt look too bad...

gah, now i messed up what i wanted to say... >_<

Draconis
10-15-2003, 04:07 PM
i got the forum working, now i need to know how to get on the search engines.

Breaker
10-15-2003, 05:11 PM
PHPBB (www.phpbb.com) is a great alternative. Although, it requires some intelligence (ability to read) for a successful installation. And BTW, that's an awful website.

Michael Moore
10-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by cyberkiller6276
try porboards.

Add another "O" in there and it basically speaks for itself.

Draconis
10-15-2003, 06:56 PM
I don't mean to be snide, but i just started it about a couple of days ago. So don't expect much as of yet, tho i will work on it.

Goat
10-15-2003, 07:11 PM
AGN is free.

Pablo
10-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Breaker
PHPBB (www.phpbb.com) is a great alternative. Although, it requires some intelligence (ability to read) for a successful installation.

Breaker's right, if you want a free forum, PHPBB can't be beat.

theplustwo
10-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Funny how bbfree.com uses IPB for it's hosted forums but VB for it's own forums. :laughing:

linkofzelda1
10-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Breaker
PHPBB (www.phpbb.com) is a great alternative. Although, it requires some intelligence (ability to read) for a successful installation. And BTW, that's an awful website.

I was actually thinking that as I read the title. If you want a sample, I've got a site (thnb.com) that I set up with it on there. My friends and I get on there a lot. PHPBB is the best free one, hands down. No ads.

Aegis Runestone
10-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Oooooo... thanx Breaker! I'm going to try that tomorrow! ;)

Gerudo
10-16-2003, 04:53 PM
i disagree with phpbb... ive using it before, and yes, its easy to install, but my main gripe is you must hack it into oblivion to get a decent board with features that come packaged in a forum like invision... i plug it for a reason, its easier to hack, and it comes with a ton of more features than phpbb... from the admin cp you can customize every aspect of the forum...

ive used phpbb before, all to recently, and my opinion is that its total shit...

plith
10-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Draconis
I don't mean to be snide, but i just started it about a couple of days ago. So don't expect much as of yet, tho i will work on it.

I don't mean to be rude (well, actually I do), but throwing unfinished shit up on the Internet and calling it a website is generally labeled a BAD IDEA (in big red flashing letters) by just about anyone who has even a faint idea about how to run any sort of site.

Paradox
10-16-2003, 08:44 PM
I recommend phpBB as that's the one I've had the most success with, it's also easy to find hacks for.

Draconis
10-16-2003, 09:49 PM
well at least i haven't submitted it to the search engines. This will give me some time to refine the page(s) before i get it done and to get opinions from other people.