PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard about this case?

TheGeepster
10-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Last Chance to Save Terri Schiavo From Starvation: Divorce (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/10/13/170257.shtml)
Family Launches Vigil to Save Terri Schiavo From Death by Starvation (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/10/13/114603.shtml)

I honestly don't know any of the details behind this. But it clearly strikes me as being cruel and unusual punishment. I'll have to google this later.

Since the story itself is so strange, I thought I might ask people here if they knew anything of it, or at least start another thread on a "News of the Weird" kinda deal.

GOOGLED:[b]
http://www.chronwatch.com/featured/contentDisplay.asp?aid=4672
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=%5CCulture%5Carchive%5C200310 %5CCUL20031010f.html

If what these articles say is correct, then the case ot Terri Schiavo is even more serious than I thought. It'll mean that her husband is intentionally seeking to profit from the death of his wife, when her recovery would have been possible. This is equivalent to murder in my opinion. Very scary stuff.

Mercy
10-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster

It'll mean that her husband is intentionally seeking to profit from the death of his wife, when her recovery would have been possible.
Can you please qualify that?

This case is hideous from all angles. The current options are to either let the woman starve to death by removing assisted life support (yes, when you can't feed yourself, feeding tubes are a form of assisted life support just like a respirator) or to keep her perpetually on increasing life support apparatus'. The woman is a vegetable and even her own doctors say that it is unlikely she will ever regain any qualifiable cognizance.

We are ultimately looking at a DNR argument made all the worse by it entailing someone starving to death for up to a couple of weeks rather than drifting off within moments of a switch being thrown off. I would not wish starvation on anyone but neither do I relish the idea of an exorbitant amount of tax-payer funds and medical care being wasted on an eggplant while thousands of children in my state alone go without proper medical attention.

m.

J.J. Maxx
10-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
I thought I might ask people here if they knew anything of it, or at least start another thread on a "News of the Weird" kinda deal.

I agree with m.

Also, here's some other similar weird news:

The first case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard Anas Platyrhynchos (http://www.nmr.nl/deins815.htm)

Yesiree-bob, this blue-green ball of dren we live on is one frelled-up place. :eyebrow:

TheGeepster
10-15-2003, 01:11 AM
From Google article #1

But once the money was in the bank, Michael refused to provide Terri with any rehab. Moreover, within months, he had a do-not-resuscitate order placed on her chart.

Rather than the funds going to pay for medical therapists to help her, as the jury intended, much of it instead paid lawyers that Michael retained to obtain the court order to end her care.

Michael's second conflict of interest is deeply personal. He is engaged to be married and has had a baby with his fiancée, with another one on the way. The couple would like to marry, but Michael's wife, inconveniently, is still alive.

This isn't a case where we have to believe one side's medical experts or the other's. The issue can be decided empirically by providing Terri with six months of therapy to see if she improves.

from Google article #2

The suit alleged violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Terri's civil rights under the First, Fifth and 14th Amendments.

The action was filed after three of Terri's former caregivers submitted sworn affidavits claiming years of denied medical care, altered or destroyed medical records, and alleged attempts by Schiavo to kill his wife.

Now I don't know if these allegations are true or not. I only stumbled onto the story from a NewsMax link.

But the charges are serious, and tantamount to charges of attempted murder. Here's the way I read it..

That the husband, after his wife's accident, allegedly did the following:

Sued for and obtained a large sum of money having stated that such money would be used for rehabilitation of his wife.
Denied his wife the chance for such rehabilitive measures which may have resulted in her not needing the tube in the first place, or helping her off the feeding tube.
Arranged to have his wife taken off the resuscitation list, thus making it easier for her to die.
Used the funds from the lawsuit in order to expedite the process of taking her off life support, while claiming those funds were exhausted.
Refusing the family and any others the opportunity to make their own attempts at Terri's recovery.
Planned on taking advantage of remaining money from the lawsuit, and pursuing a second marriage with a current mistress by letting his wife die in the described manner.

Do I know all the above is true? No. But it is what has been alleged previously.

J.J. Maxx
10-15-2003, 09:46 AM
That's just sick. :odd:

What would drive a duck to do that is beyond me.

TheGeepster
10-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Very true. That ducky needs some psychiatric help (hopefully not just a quack doctor).