PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Cyborg Monkeys!

Starkist
10-13-2003, 01:34 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A17434-2003Oct12?language=printer

This is rather odd, yet strangely alluring. Monkeys using their minds to control robotic arms... and according to the article, they seemed to enjoy it.

Michael Moore
10-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Definitely a nice advance in technology, if this can indeed eventually help paralyzed people move again. I wonder what the monkeys were making the mechanical arms do.

TheGeepster
10-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Absolutely amazing stuff.

It definitely has some uses in aiding those without use of their limb, and a myriad of other applications.

fatcatfan
10-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think this is very interesting, but after reading the article I can't help but feel that the scientists may be seeing something that isn't there, or at least overrating it.

While the monkeys trained, a computer tracked the patterns of bioelectrical activity in the animals' brains. The computer figured out that certain patterns amounted to a command to "reach." Others, it became clear, meant "grasp." Gradually, the computer learned to "read" the monkeys' minds.So basically it is the computer that is controlling the robotic arm. Obviously some kind of processor is necessary, but it seems like the computer is interpreting what the monkeys want, and then doing the hard work for them. The monkey indicates it wants to "reach" and the computer know how to reach for the object in its controlled environment. What if the monkey wants to grab something other than the expected target? It seems they don't have fine, absolute control, only the ability to trigger a pre-programmed response. Granted, with enough pre-programmed responses, the system becomes complex enough to let them do whatever they want, but... :shrug: I dunno.

It's the difference between the monkey specifically guiding the arm to the place it chooses, and the monkey thinking "I want to grab that apple" and the computer reaching for an apple in pre-programmed place and method. Maybe I misunderstood, and reading the scientific paper would tell more than the article does.

carrot red
10-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Nah, you didn't misunderstand, but I still find it amazing.

J.J. Maxx
10-13-2003, 04:14 PM
FCF, thats what our brain does in the first place, You perfectly explained the function of our brains. But if your paralyzed, your brain can't function properly and it makes sense to add a temporary 'brain' or processor to function.

fatcatfan
10-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Right, but we can't pre-program prosthetic limbs for every possible interaction. The code won't know where the apple in your cupboard is. The control needs to be more general and less specific in order to more closely mimic our physiology. The alternative to more refined control is complex sensors which would make the system more prone to undesired behavior and cost prohibitive.

I also see the possibility that the monkey was thinking "rip these electrodes out of my skull" but the computer interpreted it as "grab the apple."

Breaker
10-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Hand, pick up the ball!

/me punches Kryten in the face.

fatcatfan
10-13-2003, 04:46 PM
lol

Unfortunately, I don't think Kryten will believe your protests of innocence.

cyberkiller6276
10-13-2003, 05:42 PM
This is the same question I posted in a think tank thread (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=885580#post885580).

How does this implant interpret chemical reactions from the brain and turn it into electical impulses the processor can understand?

fatcatfan
10-13-2003, 05:45 PM
The brain also produces electric impulses. It's those that are "captured" not the chemical reaction. Haven't you seen the Matrix? The machines were using humans to generate electricity.

Breaker
10-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
lol

Unfortunately, I don't think Kryten will believe your protests of innocence.

Gah. It's from a scene in Red Dwarf.

Kryten
10-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Breaker
Gah. It's from a scene in Red Dwarf.

Who awakens me from mah slumber? Meh, yeah, Breaker was referring to a quote; only worthy of RD fans. ;p Interesting article. fcf is probably right. That is all.
/sleep

fatcatfan
10-13-2003, 10:07 PM
oh, sorry. I've yet to enlighten myself by assimilating the sci-fi of Red Dwarf. Something I've been meaning to do, just haven't got around to it yet.

Radium
10-14-2003, 01:17 AM
I can't wait for Half-Life: Neuro-Strike! :D

bigjoe
10-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Using this in place of a video game controller would be awesome.

I can also see how it would help with SWAT teams.

For example, a SWAT team member might be able to access, via a small eye-implanted or holographic radar:

A.Location of comrades
B.Unidentified heat signals in area.
C.Overhead satellite view of area when available.

And then , without speaking, s/he'd be able to send commands to his or her comrades.

My fear , however, is that such technology could be reversed to use for mind control as well.