PDA

View Full Version : Geez, it hurts getting back in.

AtmaWeapon
10-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, a few of you may have noticed I've been gone for a while. I've been through a car crash and lost my first car, got a new car, my favorite cat was run over, I failed my first round of exams then passed my second. My absence has been mainly because of the car crash and exams. Details on the crash as soon as I have enough time to make the web page (it was 3 weeks ago, that'll tell you how much time I have lately.

Games I recently discovered I cheated myself out of:
Pikmin
Final Fantasy IX
Super Mario 64

Man, I wish I had picked these up earlier. However, now I have next to zero time.

May not be around much this week, as soon as Partition Magic comes in I'm trying out Slackware Linux. The more I like it, the larger its partition will grow.

Goodness. This felt like a blog post. So, what has happened in the past 3 weeks? I won't bother asking why the crap the forums must hurt my eyes now, I'm sure if search is enabled I can find a good 100,000,000 posts asking about it. Someone give me the approximate date this switch happened and I'll go look at the old posts.

Hi.

TheGeepster
10-13-2003, 01:08 PM
The only reason I hadn't noticed you were gone was that I was also gone for a period of about 6 weeks.

Welcome back AtmaWeapon.

Ich
10-13-2003, 01:12 PM
A summation.

That sucks about your car. Keep studying and don't let Pikmin distract you. Enjoy Slackware; from what I hear it's not very user-friendly, but very customizable.

This topic (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75938) is the announcement of the main page and should answer a few of your questions. Oct. 6th was the approximate date.

vegeta1215
10-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Welcome back!

Slackware huh? I hear good things about it, but it may not be the best distribution for someone who's new to Linux. You have to do alot of the configuration manually, which you may or may not like. Either way, it will force you to learn alot more, esp about the nitty gritty of how the system and services work.

If Slackware doesn't suit you, give Mandrake Linux a try. Version 9.2 is due out anytime now :D

fatcatfan
10-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash. I hope insurance took care of everything for you.

I'm piecing together a PC from a bunch of old components this week, to use as a server. I'll probably install FreeBSD on it. This'll be the second time I've tried a *nix OS, and the first time I've given it and entire PC instead of coexisting with Windows. Once I get it up and running well, I may put together an image server for AGN.

Yeah, Pikmin is fun. I can't wait for the sequel.

AtmaWeapon
10-13-2003, 06:46 PM
I would have chosen Red Hat, but a friend across the hall runs Linux only on his computer and agreed to help me with the install. Since I have a nearby Linux guru, I'm sure he'll help me out. If all else fails, I can always use partition magic to kill it and install Red Hat. I received 2 packages in my P.O. Box today... one may be Partition Magic. I can only hope. Darn this Columbus Day!

fatcatfan
10-13-2003, 10:11 PM
So that's what happened. I wondered why no one picked up the bill payments that I'd left in my mailbox today. Columbus day. BAH. Does anyone observe Columbus day other than the Post Office?

gameguy032
10-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
Does anyone observe Columbus day other than the Post Office?
State courts. But the prosecutors still have to go to work. Or that's how it is in Indiana at least. Yes, offtopic, but it's information that may be useful. Or not.

AtmaWeapon
10-13-2003, 10:46 PM
My girlfriend's school had Staff Development today, so they kind of halfway celebrated Columbus Day.

vegeta1215
10-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Thats good you have friends around to help you install and config your Linux system :D I know I wouldn't have gotten far without my buddies.

Good luck! As always, I'll be happy to try and answer any Linux related questions you might have.

deathbyhokie
10-14-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
Does anyone observe Columbus day other than the Post Office?

i had yesterday off. as did every other employee of the state of virginia.

AtmaWeapon
10-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by deathbyhokie
i had yesterday off. as did every other employee of the state of virginia.

Liar. I bet the police and firemen and people that monitor power plants still had to go to work.

Drunken Tiger
10-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Glad to see you back, hope everything is back to normal.. :p

As for Columbus Day, i dont think that we observe that here... Sad really.. One less holiday for me... :cry:

AtmaWeapon
10-15-2003, 12:19 AM
OK, screw the friend. He's too busy to help me. I tried to download Red Hat, but they seem to really really really want me to pay for Linux. I found a download page, but there were 6 ISOs to choose from. Can someone help me out here? Are there any torrent links I can follow? Or should I go with Mandrake?

Draconis
10-15-2003, 09:31 AM
are you referring to bittorrent? cause unless that file is not normally downloaded, then bittorrent is slow. And the version i would get is the most up-to-date version that is not still in beta.

So if there was a 9.0 alpha (full release) and a 9.1 beta i would download the 9.0a

AtmaWeapon
10-15-2003, 10:12 AM
I managed to get the ISOs I needed, but now I have another worry. Is there a boundary for where the partition can be? I know that older OSes needed to be installed before cylinder 1024. My friend says that that has been overcome, but is he lying?

Draconis
12-11-2003, 12:09 PM
I always had a problem with linux and i would recommend either using a dedicated computer for it or install it on another PHYSICAL drive.