PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture Card PCTV Pro - $40 after rebates

Mak-X
10-12-2003, 09:58 PM
To follow up on my previous post (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75871) on my new video capture card, just incase someone should be interested in buying one, Comp USA has the Pinnacle PCTV Pro for $39.99 this week after instore and mail-in rebates.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299099&pfp=SEARCH

It's been good so far to take screens from game consoles, such as my Gamecube, if anyone is interested in doing that sort of thing.

(bah, moved from GGD to GD, guess it'd go better here although my purpose for the card is for game screens)

inori
10-13-2003, 12:50 AM
Nifty... though it probably costs more than it's worth to have one shipped internationally.

Warlock
10-13-2003, 03:49 AM
So is that a good card? That's pretty good deal, and I have been thinking of getting rid of this ancient WinTV card I have (the thing doesn't even work right under XP.. can't take movies at all.. video quality is questionable too..)

J.J. Maxx
10-13-2003, 11:10 AM
How much is the in-store rebate? Because it's important to know that even though it winds up being only 40 dollars that could be 4 or 5 months from now before you get your rebate money.

Mak-X
10-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Warlock
So is that a good card? That's pretty good deal, and I have been thinking of getting rid of this ancient WinTV card I have (the thing doesn't even work right under XP.. can't take movies at all.. video quality is questionable too..)

I've only had mine for 2 weeks, but the quality is a lot better, especially due to the S-Video input, than the ATI TV Wonder VE I have. If your going to get a card to play games and take screens on, I recommend that you get one with S-Video for good quality, and buy a $7 S-Video cable if you don't have one already.

The Pro model, and I think the regular PCTV model, can capture Mpeg 2 movies of 720x480, though you need a fast PC for the higher recording stuff. You can grab screens of 640x480.

For the Rebate price at least, I think its a good card so far. I don't really know or think I could really get any better quality of a card unless it has Component input (for Progressive Scan), which costs hundreds of dollars. I think I've seen your screens before, Warlock, this would probably be a better card than what you have.

You can see the pricing details on the CompUSA page, and can also click the Rebates link. I think its $20 off instore, and $30 from mail in rebate.

If anyone gets the this card, or any video capture card, instead of using the packaged software, try using Dscaler instead, especially for games. http://www.dscaler.org

Warlock
10-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
For the Rebate price at least, I think its a good card so far. I don't really know or think I could really get any better quality of a card unless it has Component input (for Progressive Scan), which costs hundreds of dollars. I think I've seen your screens before, Warlock, this would probably be a better card than what you have.

Yeah, I figured that :D That's like saying the GameCube is more powerful than the NES :D haha.. my card is so damn ancient. But yeah, I added this to my Christmas list now.. here's hoping I get it :D hehe.. can't really afford to pick it up myself (plus there aren't any CompUSAs around here and obviously online they are out of stock).

P.S. - Mak, is your website down? Can't seem to access it..

J.J. Maxx
10-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Warlock, did you have a Hauppauge? I have the same thing. Works okay but not great.