PDA

View Full Version : A pirate's life be gettin' harder....

Blonde799
10-10-2003, 07:54 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6076592.html

Hehe. Now that's one interesting article to read. Long story short, crime doesn't pay.:p

bigjoe
10-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Someone will just make a trainer or something so that you can reload :evil:

ShadowTiger
10-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Yes, but would it be worth it? Eventually, most of your time would be spent reloading via a trainer, and trying to cheat your way to the top. It would lead to terrible gaming skills with the trainer.

I think it's a pretty good idea to further the economy. But the gaming industry has high prices already. :shakeno: I don't buy games anyway.

AlexMax
10-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Before any of you say it, they are compensating for 'regular' scratches. You won't destroy your game like this by scratching it normally.

Sorry, people who read this article at Slashdot seem to be all over it in this way....

And in my opinion, this idea is pure genius. Pure evil genius.

MottZilla
10-10-2003, 01:23 PM
There is already another thread about this you know. It's called This is certainly a new anti-piracy approach... (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=75999)

Also I think it's pure bullshit. It will fail.

Guardian
10-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Looks like a good way to go to me ... now, if they'd only code emulators and ROMs that way, then they could sell them without worry of piracy! Imagine ... games emulated by the companies themselves, then you can pay for access to their download site or pay for the download and get all your favorite games instead of worrying about whether or not they're legal. If they'd just code it properly, they could make a killing!!

Mr. 207
10-10-2003, 09:33 PM
This wont work....it will initially work, but people will crack it. Just like every game gets a cd-crack, every game will just get a fade crack. Just like all the money that goes into music copy protection, this will be a waste of time and cash.

Blonde799
10-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Not to mention, incoming death threats from pissed pirates.:p

TheGeepster
10-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Aaah, but you forget that these attempts stall the pirates from their activities and make their task that much harder, which may be worthwhile.

It's a circular process of creating hack protection, and pirates breaking such in time, followed by the next hack protection scheme.

MottZilla
10-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Um, the "stall" is minimal, and doesn't matter. Is there some rule, wait an hour before pirating a game and then it's better or something? It will be wasted money is all. :O

TheGeepster
10-11-2003, 11:00 PM
The process of developing a hack that breaks a new technology takes longer than an hour I would presume. Depending on the effectiveness of hack-protection, it may take a period of months to a couple of years.

How long did it take hackers to be able to hack DVDs?

MottZilla
10-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Actually, cracking a new protection has NO time frame. Yes, it could be broken in an hour. Or, in the case of Capcom's CPS2, the encryption is still not broken (however bypassed after over 7 years or so).

Put it this way, if the latest PC game that people want uses this there is a much larger chance of crackers getting it cracked fast.