PDA

View Full Version : Friend of mine can't use search engine.

AlexMax
10-10-2003, 03:32 AM
http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=8287

This is AGN's newest registered member. He also happens to be my roomate. He has two problems.

First of all, he can not seem to access ANY search engines. At all. Not Google, not Altavista, not anything. Yahoo loads, but when he tries to use the search function, it comes up with a 404.

My computer is using the same internet he is. He is running XP, Internet Explorer, latest service packs. Anyone know why this would happen?

Problem number two is that he has not gotten an email asking him to confirm him. He entered his correct email, but apparently the email was never sent. What should he do? I'm sure one of you (and by one of you I mean any senior mod or admin) knows a lot more about vBulliten than I do, it's been ages since I've registered in any case.

EDIT: Ugh, he probably entered his email wrong....

inori
10-10-2003, 04:34 AM
Well, the standard response to problem #2 is "PM an admin." Of course, if he hasn't confirmed his registration, he may not be able to do that; maybe you can do it for him. :shrug:

As for problem #1, no idea. Can he access other, non-search-engine, websites?

AlexMax
10-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Yes, thats the weird part about out. He can acceess all other websites, just not use search engines.

linkofzelda1
10-10-2003, 05:06 PM
It is possible that there is spyware on your program preventing you from doing that. I know a friend of mine was having this same problem, and he ran SpyBot on his computer and it was fine after that.

cyberkiller6276
10-10-2003, 05:20 PM
It could be spyware, or it could be an IE problem. Check under Internet options. It could be a number of things: Content advisor, Privacy, or security.

My suggestion would be to try a different browser and see if it deos the same thing. Until you do, don't touch IE options. It could screw something up bad...

stormwatcheagle
10-12-2003, 02:25 AM
Did you try msn's search engine? Of all the ones that should work, that would be it.

Edit: and when he types something into the address bar, what earch engine does it go to?