PDA

View Full Version : Map of Spam

cyberkiller6276
10-08-2003, 08:47 PM
:odd:

Wow, whoever compiled this has alot and I don't use that word lightly) of time. I'm Impressed.

http://www.phule.net/mirrors/spammap_files/spamdemicmap.gif

Shocking and confusing, eh? I still can't find where the mail finally gets to your inbox...

linkofzelda1
10-08-2003, 10:47 PM
I'll bet he just made a bunch of lines to random companies and said "Wow! spam map! yipee!"

Seems like something I would do.

Kirby of Doom
10-08-2003, 10:51 PM
(spam) --------> :angry: ---------> :gavel: -----------> (no more spam) ---------> :D

That's my spam map.

edit: well, that's my ideal spam map.

Ich
10-08-2003, 11:26 PM
I found Miss Cleo.

Kirby of Doom
10-08-2003, 11:30 PM
"Call me now. Hello? No, I don't need a new phone service!!!"

"Call me now. Hello? Life insurance? :angry: "

TheGeepster
10-08-2003, 11:36 PM
I'd be curious as to if that map was real or not. I don't think the email servers are on there. It seems more like you start at whoever managed to verify your email address and track from there where all that information gets spread.

My preferred spam map would be this
||
\/
dev/nul

Draconis
10-09-2003, 09:32 AM
i will say that whoever did that map,

A.had too much time on their hands and
B.probably used some sort of flowchart program since if you did it by hand... you would be almost screwed past like 30 - 40 interconnects.

DarkPanther
10-09-2003, 10:54 AM
It happens. We know why. That is worthless.

That's like mapping out my digestive tracts to explain to me why I crap.

TheGeepster
10-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Aaah, I dunno. If that is, in fact, real; then you could keep track of everyone who has your email addy.

Now that I think of it though, it's not really all that useful, is it? Oh well *shrug*

fatcatfan
10-09-2003, 12:40 PM
As it states clearly, the map isn't supopsed to be helpful to us. It is supposed to demostrate to advertisers the complex interactions that cause them to wind up with the email address of someone who doesn't want solicitous emails from them. If I had my guess, I'd say (without any real knwoledge of the details) that the map is probably fairly accurate; there's a lot of data and effort out there to combat spam, and I'd say this is a compilation of a lot of that data.

The key point of the map can be found if you pay attention. The legend has a symbol for <person>, i.e. the owner of an email address. They don't appear anywhere on the chart.

Kirby of Doom
10-09-2003, 01:32 PM
It seems kind of stupid to try to get people who want their stuff to buy it by sending them annoying emails. How do these spam company's make money?

Cloral
10-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Because advertisers pay the companies that send spam a certain amount per message sent. I guess they figure that if enough messages are sent some people will respond (which is probably true).

What we need is some way to prove where messages were sent from (i.e. some sort of route trace). That way spam could be stopped dead in its tracks.

Kirby of Doom
10-09-2003, 01:48 PM
I think all the hackers and virus makers out there could do us all a favor and put their skills to good use. ;)
Or is that too extreme?

DarkPanther
10-09-2003, 01:55 PM
No, no, no...

We need them to make more of these maps so we can.... have more maps of this kind of thing.

TheGeepster
10-09-2003, 05:13 PM
You know, I just a got an idea.

What if I sent this to every address I could get a hold of... Hmmmmm..l