PDA

View Full Version : I think I'll let the screenshot speak for itself

fatcatfan
10-08-2003, 10:41 AM
http://www.darkengine.net/dolphin/Image40_thumb.jpg (http://www.darkengine.net/dolphin/Image40.jpg)
Click for larger view

For more info, go here (http://www.ngemu.com/gc/zelda/) and here (http://www.emulation64.com/)

AlexMax
10-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Ha! Those aren't gamecube emulation screens. Their claims are so transparent. I can see right through it.

*rimshot*

Defeniatly cool...I wonder how many seconds per frame (heh) it runs at...

MottZilla
10-08-2003, 01:17 PM
It says less than 2fps in the pic.

The first GameCube piracy! lol. Afterall it would be the first practical use of a GC iso.

I'm gonna read here and there and see what is up now. :O

fatcatfan
10-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Well, it is only 2fps there, but other shots have it as much as 15fps. But you'll note they are rendering everything transparent (I assume intentionally) and doing so would require more power than rendering solid.

Link 101
10-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Why would they make it transparent? I can barely see what game(if it is a game)it is. But that is cool. I could never get N64 emus to work on my PC. I probably wouldn't be able to get that to work either. That is cool though.

Cloral
10-08-2003, 04:18 PM
I just like the fact that its called 'Dolphin'.

Flash Man
10-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Link 101
Why would they make it transparent? I can barely see what game(if it is a game)it is. But that is cool. I could never get N64 emus to work on my PC. I probably wouldn't be able to get that to work either. That is cool though.

I would assume that the fact the game uses transparent renders to go through some scenes, they didn't make it transparent, they are emulating what it is supposed to do.

gameguy032
10-08-2003, 04:53 PM
That looks like Wind Waker to me. The hut that's in the middle is Link's because I remember the reeds growing out in front. And near the ocean are two boats. But the middle... I'm getting a complete blank, and I was just on Outset Island Sunday so I could go through the Savage Labrynth.

EDIT: Yeah, the first link sends you right to Zelda screenshots... Guess I was right then. Next time I'll more than look at the pictures.

fatcatfan
10-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Flash Man
I would assume that the fact the game uses transparent renders to go through some scenes, they didn't make it transparent, they are emulating what it is supposed to do.

No, the original scenery in Wind Waker wasn't transparent as shown in that screenshot. At first I thought they just didn't have the emulation perfect yet, but the more I considered it, the more I began to think they were rendering transparent like that for debugging purposes. It's probably an option somewhere in the emulator "render wireframe/render translucent/render normal".

And the emulator is actually called "Dolwin" not Dolphin, though I did notice as you did Cloral that is said Dolphin in the title bar. This emulator was mostly written by Nintendo's development team actually. Hackers got ahold of some copies of the Gamecube Development kits, and one of the things they contained was a PC emulator for the Gamecube. The original Nintendo emulator was designed only as a set of libraries against which you could link your game code, to produce something that would run on a PC. The people behind Dolwin have just developed that source into a more open-ended emulator, able to load any game image. This means the Dolwin emulation will likely be near perfect.

Kirby of Doom
10-08-2003, 11:09 PM
I want to try this thing out, but it seems as though they haven't released it yet.

fatcatfan
10-08-2003, 11:27 PM
They have released a version of it, but it would not yet play ripped GC discs. It would only play homemade stuff compiled to be run on Gamecube hardware (which is possible using PSO, a broadband connector and the right software on your PC) These latest screenshots were just to let people know progress is being made, and ripped discs are/will be playable. Kinda like a (nam) post from DN.

MottZilla
10-09-2003, 02:40 AM
Well when emulating a system you never know what can happen by alittle inaccuracy. The translucent graphics couldbe an error. Afterall all the celshading graphics they say requires alot of power, perhaps alittle bug did that.

Although, I would much rather read into how to play GC games on my actual GC. :p I didn't buy that thing for nothing. heh.