PDA

View Full Version : Silly Web ads...

inori
10-07-2003, 06:49 AM
A lot of the sites I wander through on my daily Internet prowls come with the ever-popular ads. I usually don't pay much attention to them, but they're pretty funny right now.

The ads are all spiffy and can tell that my IP address is located in Japan. Consequently, I get a lot of ads aimed at Japanese people. This means I'm getting two main types of ads:

- Ads written in Japanese. These ads are absolutely worthless when delivered to me, because I'm not going to waste the effort I have to expend reading Japanese on an advertisement.
- Ads that offer help getting work visas - in the United States. :rolleyes: (Remember, I'm a US citizen, and don't need a visa to work legally in the States.)

Ah well, it makes it even easier for me to ignore the various ads that track across my browser.

linkofzelda1
10-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Get the google tool bar. It's a great pop-up blocker. And it's free :thumbsup:

inori
10-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Nah, it's not popup ads. It's just the generic banner ads that you see almost everywhere. Opera, my browser of choice, blocks popup ads as well as any add-in software.

And they don't bother me; it's just funny. Right now, there's an ad with some strange guy wearing a tiger suit in one of my other windows. (Did I mention that Japanese advertisements are really bizarre?)

Raichu86
10-07-2003, 12:09 PM
I've not seen any of those. The most intelligent ads I see are shaking Windows dialogs and annoying color flashing ones that say I've wons omething. :p

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

deathbyhokie
10-07-2003, 12:18 PM
my favorite ones are the pop-up ads advertising a pop-up blocker. ahh, the irony

Ich
10-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Tiger suit: Link?

Just wait until you've been in Japan for a while; you'll pick up the Japanese quite quickly. Also, do people ask you for help with their English homework? People here ask our foreign exchange students for help in the language they speak in their respective countries.

Pablo
10-07-2003, 04:53 PM
I wish I could have a Japanese IP addy...fun, fun for everyone! :D

fatcatfan
10-07-2003, 05:04 PM
so bounce off a proxy.

I don't get so many banner ads with the KazaaLite TK++ edition supertrick installed anyway. It essentially redirects most of the ad webserver addresses to /dev/null.

cyberkiller6276
10-07-2003, 07:54 PM
how aften do they use kanji in ads over there?
If it's not in kanji, it should be easier to translate.