PDA

View Full Version : college stuff

idontknow
10-06-2003, 03:28 PM
ok, i was wondering if anyone knows of some good topics to write about for my college essay--i have to write a "personal statement" but i have not a clue what to write about so i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, and just as well, knows of any website where i could find examples of college essays--like a model or something

Ich
10-06-2003, 03:46 PM
The obvious would be to ask your guidance counselor for a list of suggested topics. My idea:

Write about a revelation, about how you suddenly realized "what it's all about" or some crap like that.

My brother Texdex wrote his once about how he was helping Habitat for Humanity (www.habitat.org) renovate houses in the slums in Harrisburg, and then, when we were driving by last December when he was feeling depressed because Xmas sucks (Xmas, the commercialized version of Christmas), in the window of one of the houses, he saw a Christmas tree. He asked me to proof it for him, and it was pretty good.

Kirby of Doom
10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
If you're going to a college for anything technical (not liberal arts) then you don't need to write such an amazing essay. Just say why you want to do what you want to do.

inori
10-07-2003, 05:16 AM
If you poke around online (Google is your friend), you should be able to find plenty of examples.

Just remember that a personal essay is just that - personal. Write honestly about yourself, and your chances will be better. (Admissions officers are really good at telling these kinds of things...)

Ganonator
10-07-2003, 05:29 AM
I had to write 3 personal statement essays to get into college this year. They included "Why do you want to attend", "Name a person who has influenced your life" and "what was your greatest accomplishment"

They aren't hard, shouldn't be more than 250 words a piece, and MAKE SURE YOU PROOFREAD. i swear 75% of all rejects are because of bad grammar.