PDA

View Full Version : limewire

idontknow
10-02-2003, 06:10 PM
i have a question about the program "Limewire", which is basically like kazaa (except i guess its supposedly "not as good") anyhoo, if anybody has it, maybe someone can help--how do you filter out uploads so that people cannot download your files (but you can download theirs:evil: ?) supposedly this is how you protect yourself from being sued because they are after people who give away music, rather than take music

EDIT: i just came up with an idea for the forum: "General Computer Discussion" forum--here would go questions & discussions specifically relating to computers & programs--i mean, sure it fits here, but i honestly don't think this is the best forum to place such questions but i don't know where else i should post stuff like this cuz this is the only place i see that might be appropriate but it seems like this forum should be for more general questions/discussions

Blonde799
10-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
i have a question about the program "Limewire", which is basically like kazaa (except i guess its supposedly "not as good") anyhoo, if anybody has it, maybe someone can help--how do you filter out uploads so that people cannot download your files (but you can download theirs:evil: ?)
Most users on Kazaa cancel your downloads, if you happen to be blocking them from downloading files from you.

Also, General Discussion is General Discussion. Discussion in general.

Gerudo
10-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
EDIT: i just came up with an idea for the forum: "General Computer Discussion" forum been there, done that... people have seen this many times, and they usually say either Programming or WebDev is good enough, as well as GD... :shrug:

E-FORCE
10-02-2003, 07:19 PM
I would quit using limewire and try to find kazaa lite. The regular kazaa & some other such programs tend to have spyware that basically track what you do for "commercial purposes". I find them annoying & hazardous to anyone computer. Think of spyware as a disease that is undetectable unless it checked for thoroughly.

Ich
10-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Further point of advice: Share a maximum of 500 files; I remember reading the RIAA is targeting people in the range of 1000+.

Also, what is a program for removing spyware?

Flash Man
10-03-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by E-FORCE
I would quit using limewire and try to find kazaa lite. The regular kazaa & some other such programs tend to have spyware that basically track what you do for "commercial purposes". I find them annoying & hazardous to anyone computer. Think of spyware as a disease that is undetectable unless it checked for thoroughly.

More likely instead of finding KaZaA Lite, use DirectConnect (http://www.neo-modus.com/) or DC++ (http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/). Completely superior to KaZaA. Although required to share 5GB+, you'll find whatever you want there.

Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
Also, what is a program for removing spyware?

Lavasoft AdAware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/), I use it on every computer that comes in at work.

idontknow
10-04-2003, 09:36 PM
ok. i got yelled at by the parents for downloading more music :( blah blah blah--anyhoo, i did uninstall limewire, should the RIAA or whatever the fuck it is leave me the hell alone now, or i am still not safe from them? in other words, can they still seek me out? (do i need to delete the songs from my hardrive cuz they can find out that i did download songs, or should i be fine if i leave them? i only downloaded like 9 songs)

Pablo
10-04-2003, 09:44 PM
There's no chance that they'll be after you for sharing nine songs.

And try http://www.k-lite.tk for the best version of KaZaA Lite out there. Unfortunately, I can't use DC since I haven't got 5 GB of material to share :(

linkofzelda1
10-04-2003, 09:47 PM
You should be safe whenever you are not connected. In order to catch you, they must download the file from you first, and once it is confirmed as copyrighted material, they beat your ISP until they give them your IP. So yeah, you're safe even if you still have it on your computer, but only if you are either not connected or have sharing disabled, which I do not know how to do in Limewire.

To disable it in KLite (which, IMO, is the best p2p app out there) go to options>kazaalite K++ options, and under the traffic tab check Disable Sharing with Other Users.

Hope this helps.

idontknow
10-04-2003, 10:53 PM
by not connected, do ya mean, to the internet, or connected to the program (limewire)? i have DSL so i'm always connected (to the internet) how exactly do they catch you?

Pablo
10-04-2003, 10:55 PM
If Limewire/KaZaA Lite isn't operating, they can't get the files off your computer. That's hacking, which is rather illegal :)

linkofzelda1
10-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Yeah, what Pablo said :D

No need to disconnect from the internet, just close limewire and you're good to go.

Raichu86
10-06-2003, 05:18 PM
My limewire client (v2.9.11) has an option for the maximum number of upload slots. I just set them to 0, so it won't allow anybody to download files from me. You can also customize the directories that limewire shares files from, I believe.