PDA

View Full Version : just checking in

idontknow
10-01-2003, 03:07 PM
i'm just wondering where we're at right now, what DN is currently working on, & what the near future for zquest is looking like--what is the current beta being worked on & what features are being implemented or being tweaked?

Blonde799
10-01-2003, 03:33 PM
http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75056
Look through the entire thread.

idontknow
10-01-2003, 05:47 PM
i have seen this before & i love this new look by the way--any word on any progress since the last post in that thread? (which was only like a week & a half ago) so, has DN just been focused on a new look to zquest, or has any new features to zquest or zc themselves been implemented lately?

Blonde799
10-01-2003, 06:02 PM
So far, that's the most recent progress I've seen DN show. If he has anything worth mentioning, he'll post it here.

fatcatfan
10-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Most of the new features, at least that I'm aware of, are behind the scenes things. A revamp of the quest file format in order to make it more robust, easier to recover when problems occur.

Cloral
10-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Ah. So this next version is going to be vastly different.

Just a thought - it might make sense to make the 'beta 183' release of 1.92 into the official version 1.92 release - since it seems that no other 1.92 release is coming. It would especially make sense in light of the fact that the file format is changing.

DarkFlameWolf
10-02-2003, 12:44 AM
but then that means you must eliminate all bugs in that current version to make it an official version. Otherwise, it wouldn't do good to release a buggy official version.

fatcatfan
10-02-2003, 07:37 PM
The plan we have discussed is a development branch, creating two projects that we can develop independantly. One branch would be static as it concerns features and file-formats. Only changes to the behind the scenes stuff would be made (that includes bug fixes). The other branch would be the "next-generation" ZC engine.

Get the idea? So this would fit in with what you two are suggesting.

Jigglysaint
10-02-2003, 07:51 PM
It would be good to have some sort of way to import data from one file version to another. Maps should be importable, strings, d-maps, and other stuff. You may not be able to load old quests, or stuff, but at least a sort of way to salvage current projects if neccecary.

*b*
10-02-2003, 10:22 PM
I heard something about the next version being able to load previous quest file formats? if not, Jiggly's idea would be great

DarkFlameWolf
10-03-2003, 09:29 AM
well if that's true, wouldn't 187 be the final beta release? Since it has fixed the overworld map bug and the continue bug. (that has yet to be determined since some testers found some continue inconsistancies while playing my latest quest in 187.)

fatcatfan
10-03-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm fairly certain that even the latest incarnation with the new quest loading code will continue to load old format quests, so that isn't an issue.... yet.

And the stable branch will be a public release "full" version that gets updated and re-released as bugs are fixed.

Blonde799
10-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Ah, that's a good idea.:) Now why didn't I think of it...:p

Cloral
10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Yeah. That's what I like to hear. I think the whole business of having the newest public version being a beta version is a bit confusing to newbies.

fatcatfan
10-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Right. The whole point is to provide a stable product for quest development. Trying to fix bugs in ever changing code is confusing. Kill one bug, add another with a new feature. Keeping the code and feature set static will make it easier to eliminate all the bugs.

Jigglysaint
10-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Plus, if you fix and release alpha 187, testers can then release their quests.