PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive format tool

Draconis
09-30-2003, 07:45 PM
i need a tool that will partition a seagate drive that is about 10gb in size.

The Savior
09-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Fdisk will work depending on what drive format you want, or Partition Magic will do anything you want done.

Flash Man
09-30-2003, 09:00 PM
fdisk will create a partition table, only Windows 98 or higher, 95 will only handle FAT16 and format up to 2GB. fdisk with Windows 98 will allow FAT32 which allows up to an exorbitant amount. Partition Magic can do the job as well, except it handles other partition types than just FAT, such as NTFS or EXT2/3, although 9x/ME can only handle up to FAT32, NT based will do NTFS and linux will use EXT. Format will format your drive.

gdorf
09-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Most linux distros have a free fdisk-style utitility that you can download and use for free. Some, such as the one included with slackware, will allow you makes partitions that are NTFS/FAT32/FAT16/EXT2+3 and many other types. The nice thing is these linux utilities are free and can be used without installing linux. Just boot to the cd and run whatever command that particular distro uses (ie: 'cfdisk' for slackware). I have found this is a good, free, alternative to Partition Magic.

However, if your willing to spend the cash (or attain it illegally) Partition Magic is great. It is loaded with features .

ZeldaFan001
09-30-2003, 10:27 PM
You can also get a copy of Fdisk from the Microsoft Website, but if you are installing Windows XP, it handles partitioning in FAT32 and NTFS during installation.

Draconis
10-01-2003, 09:59 AM
i tried using the tool that western digital harddrives come with and it screwed up the partitions (it says there are too many). I wish i could find the flavor that would normally come with Seagate drives.

I also tried fdisk but it won't even work.

Flash Man
10-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Seagate has one, and so does Western Digital, both use completely different drive geometry. Standard geometry would involve fdisk, Partition Magic or cfdisk. fdisk will work, you cannot resize partitions with it, you cannot make a new partition without deleting one unless you have free space.

Draconis
10-01-2003, 10:39 AM
never mind... i used the last disk of the 3 tools i have and finally the maxtor max-blast disk worked for the drive. (at least i think the drive was seagate cause it's id said SG something.)

vegeta1215
10-01-2003, 12:32 PM
1) Make a Windows 98 boot disk
2) Use Autoclave (http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/) to securely (and really) erase your hard drive
3) Follow this guide (http://www.hexff.com/win98_install.html) on how to use fdisk and format (from your 98 boot disk) to partition your drive
4) Install your OS (if it's Windows 98, the previous link tells you how to go through it - any other OS will see the FAT32 partitions and do what they need with them)