PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

carrot red
09-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Do you believe in superstitions and do you know some uncommon ones?

I don't believe in them at all, but still I try not to walk under a ladder, nor open an umbrella inside the house. I guess I can still hear my granny saying it's bad luck.

Here are some I know:

Cat: If a black cat walks towards you, it brings good fortune, but if it walks away, it takes the good luck with it.

Clover: It's good luck to find a four-leaf clover.

Eye: If your right eye twitches there will soon be a birth in the family. If the left eye twitches there will soon be a death in the family.

Ladder: It’s bad luck to walk under a ladder.

Mirror: To break a mirror means 7 years bad luck.

Friday: A bed changed on Friday will bring bad dreams.

Horseshoe: A horseshoe, hung above the doorway, will bring good luck to a home.

Milk: It's bad luck to let milk boil over.

Mistletoe: A girl standing under mistletoe cannot refuse to be kissed by anyone who claims the privilege.

Thirteen: If 13 people sit down at a table to eat, one of them will die before the year is over.

Umbrella: It's bad luck to open an umbrella inside the house, especially if you put it over your head.

Yawn: Cover your mouth when you yawn, or your soul can go out of your body along with the yawn.

Yoshiman
09-27-2003, 10:10 PM
If you hold a horseshoe with the open part facing down, all the good luck will run out.

Wearing your socks inside out is good luck.

If you spill salt, make sure you toss some over your shouder so you blind the devil before he has a chance to do evil.

If a spider drops down in front of you, wait for it to make another move. If it crawls back up, it's good luck. If it continues down, it's bad luck.

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment. I'm not really all that superstitous.

bigjoe
09-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Norad: If your sentences include words like "Norad, KGB, nuclear war, or president" a spy satellite will zoom its sound sensors in on you.

Starkist
09-28-2003, 12:09 AM
I've always figured that horseshoes above your door would bring bad luck in the form of a headache. ;)

I'm unconsciously superstitious. I try not to be, but I am anyway. Baseball players are really superstitious too. If you win a game or do something well, you have to do everything exactly the same the next time. Same number of steps, same clothes, same warmup actions.

For sailors, an albatross means bad luck.

Ganonator
09-28-2003, 02:33 AM
Whenever a bride sees the groom while wearing a dress on the day of the wedding, apparently bad luck comes to that marriage.

I personally don't believe in any of that. Coincidence is the only reason for any superstition, so there should be no reason for any concern, IMO.

Beldaran
09-28-2003, 03:49 AM
"You may feel an impending sense of doom. This is because you are about to die."
-Steve Martin, reading the warning label on his medicine.

Gandalf
09-28-2003, 04:48 AM
here are a few common superstitions :

Bed :shouldn't sleep with your head pointing north.
Haircut :Can't get a haircut on saturday(its a special day for one of the Hindu Gods)
If somebody crosses you over when you're sleeping, you stop growing, to reverse the thing you have to cross over them.

I live in India, so these are mostly religious. There are lots more, just can't think of any.

Kirby of Doom
09-28-2003, 10:29 AM
WPI superstition: If you step on the seal on the quad (It's the large area between a few of the dorms and the auditorium) you won't graduate in 4 years. BS? probably. But it's more of a respect thing.