PDA

View Full Version : College life sucks.

AtmaWeapon
09-26-2003, 02:11 AM
I live in the honors dorm at my university. This means I get to enjoy many privileges like getting to park 300 yards away from my dorm. Other dorms have parking lots large enough to hold staff and students. My dorm has 200 residents, 10 staff, and 50 parking places. Not to mention that this year, 15 of those parking places are now reserved for the police substation they moved next door.

The police would be fine, except they always test their sirens when they bring the cars in. At 12:00AM.

However, the last straw is tonight. I went to a lot of trouble to go to bed early. I had just gotten almost to a point where I could drown out the 3 losers and their ho-bag herpes bank that are having a party outside their room in the hallway when I heard something strange: a leaf blower. I thought I was going mad. I figured it was a car going by or something. But it kept up. I had to go outside to verify, and yes, for whatever reason, there is a man outside at 1AM blowing leaves off of the sidewalk. This makes my brain hurt.

Beldaran
09-26-2003, 02:24 AM
I totally feel your pain, Atma. My apartment complex is right by the dorms and it is a total zoo 24 hours a night. Try and relax and not concern yourself with the distractions and frustrations.

College life can be difficult, but ultimately you will look back and laugh.:)

Cloral
09-26-2003, 03:07 AM
Try closing your window. That works for me. Alternately, you might want to go talk to the people in charge and tell them that this noise is really bothering you. Most dorms have quiet hours.

And on the contrary, I would say I've really enjoyed college life so far. Just don't get into my bad habit of skipping your classes all the time.

ShadowTiger
09-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Try closing your window. That works for me. Yeah, minimize it and enlarge it later. ;) :laughing: Heh. :rolleyes: But I know the feeling, rest assured. Leaf Blowers are like ants in my neighborhood. (I mean that literally. They actually go out on early in the morning to blow their leaves around. There are.. like.. hundreds of these things, and none of them are big enough to step on with your shoe.)

AtmaWeapon
09-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Cloral
Try closing your window. That works for me. Alternately, you might want to go talk to the people in charge and tell them that this noise is really bothering you. Most dorms have quiet hours.

And on the contrary, I would say I've really enjoyed college life so far. Just don't get into my bad habit of skipping your classes all the time.

My window is closed. It's just they are thin el cheapo windows, and they do a better job of keeping wind and rain out than sound. I don't complain, though, since they do keep wind and rain out. I just wonder where they heck they hired a yardman so devoted he started work at 1AM. I want this guy mowing my grass.

Quiet hours are a lost cause. I complained to the hall advisor every day for 2 weeks last year, and she never got around to doing anything about it. I even complained to the department of housing and residence life. All they did was forward my email to her, and she told me to call her. I'm used to the people being rowdy, it's just the leaf blower really bothered me because it was a really unexpected noise.

AlexMax
09-26-2003, 08:54 AM
Call me crazy, but I've been able to tune out the obnoxiously loud rap music, laughing going on outside and shouting coming from outside my door.

One thing I can't stand is our internet. It goes down randomly. And yesterday, it went down for goot. I call roadrunner, and they tel me that they are shutting off people's internet to contain a realy bad virus. Trouble is, they turned me off without calling me. Whats more, they can't seem to get a signal from me, even when they turned me back on. They're sending a techition out here....Sunday.

Fuck them.

linkofzelda1
09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Ouch. No internet would suck.

People are jackasses. Screw em all :D

Luckily, the college I want to go to is close enough to my house to walk, so I don't have to stay in a dorm.

Sub-Zero
09-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I don't stay in a dorm but I still get the benifits...my other friends have some good times at their apartments and I hang out with them knowing that I can go home at any time...... apartment living is better than dorms, get out if/when you can! :P

fatcatfan
09-26-2003, 01:13 PM
The brief year and a half that I was in the dorms, the worst part was the unscheduled-yet-regular-as-clockwork 1 AM fire "drills". We would all have to file out of the building, wait for the fire trucks to arrive, inspect the building, make sure there isn't a fire before we could ever go back in. This could often take an hour or two. It was not uncommon to wake up sprawled out on the couch in the lobby of a neighboring dorm, or in the back seat of my car, still in just my boxers.

AlexMax
09-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
The brief year and a half that I was in the dorms, the worst part was the unscheduled-yet-regular-as-clockwork 1 AM fire "drills". We would all have to file out of the building, wait for the fire trucks to arrive, inspect the building, make sure there isn't a fire before we could ever go back in. This could often take an hour or two. It was not uncommon to wake up sprawled out on the couch in the lobby of a neighboring dorm, or in the back seat of my car, still in just my boxers.

Those happen at our dorm too.

One night, someone rang the damn thing twice, one at 2 in the morning, another time at 3.

Luckily, the fire team takes less than five minutes to get to our dorm, and usually we are all back in the dorm in 15 to 30 minutes.

There is a price on the perpetrator's head, both by Residence Life and by the residents of our Hall. When we catch that bastard, he's going to be donating a few teeth to the "Beat the shit out of that bastard who keeps pulling the god damned fire alarm fund."

Cloral
09-26-2003, 05:44 PM
That happened at my dorm too, but most of the time it wasn't on purpose. Instead, someone would put a bag of popcorn in the microwave for 5 minutes and then forget to go check on it.

Yoshiman
09-26-2003, 05:59 PM
That's why I hate places you share with other people. I used to live in an apartment. The people upstairs were having a party... At 2 in the morning. They had the music blasting and my mom called the police. When the police got to our apartment, the people upstairs shut the lights and music off. But thankfully, the police heard the music all the way up the road.

So this leaf blower guy is out there every morning at 1 am? I say you go down there and talk to him. If he's working for somebody, talk to the guy he's working for. Ask him why he hired a guy to blow leaves in the early morning. Hopefully, you can get this settled. If not, take the guy's leaf blower.

Ich
09-26-2003, 06:22 PM
You gotta take the good with the bad. Being able to do all the cool stuff you're supposed to in college (promiscuity, copious drug use) should outweigh the negatives. Or, you can go on a murderous rampage.

Rijuhn
09-27-2003, 10:36 PM
This is one of the things I fear if and when I go to a dorm when I finish my two years at TCC. I mean I want to go to parties and hang out and stuff, and I want to have a fun college experience, but I have limits and stuff. I just don't want it to be like high school all over again, with 50% of the students being dumb-asses.

DarkDragon
09-28-2003, 02:32 PM
Hell, you have no right to complain. Down here, if you want parking, you first have to pay $200 a year, then you have to park at the stadium at the very edge of campus at a point as far from most of the dorms as possible given the campus geometry. Fire alarms happen all the time when drunk people from other dorms come to visit and feel the need to fuck with us, and then our dorm gets fined $600 for a frivolous fire pull. Parties at 1 AM shouldn't really be a problem; why don't you go out and join them?

Warlock
09-28-2003, 06:03 PM
College life doesn't suck, dorms suck :D I moved out to student apartments my Sophmore year and they kick ass.. my own room, kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, etc..

As for the noise, get ear plugs.. seriously, they help a LOT. Make sure they are rated around 32+ decibels.. I used to have a roommate that snored, and this helped a lot. Of course, now I have people in the room next to me playing blaring music at 3am/7am that I can hear through my paper-thin walls, so yeah. Earplugs ;)

Slider Zero
10-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Yes, indeed the dorms suck major ass, even in texas.

At least you guys dont have to wake up at 5AM just to catch the unreliable-as-hell houston metro to get to campus. I mean comeon! all the buses go straight through the city, taking up an entire HOUR of sleep i could have had, and then the buses are FREEZING COLD. Top it off with the fact that Consumer courtesy at UH is practically NONEXISTENT this year, and i'm spending about $40 a week just so i won't collapse on campus.

beat that.

Slider Zero
10-08-2003, 01:44 PM
*oh HELL NO. THe effing server decided to crash, AGAIN*

seeing as how the damned tech ppl are such fucking lazy asses anyway (and that i completely lost my original post) i might as well add in this:

Parking, the eons it takes for them to process financial aid, random server crashes, extremely high prices for food, lack of dorm and/or educator quality, and...oh yes...parking all seem to be an integral part of the college experience. If that's the case, i have only one thing to say...

COLLEGE SUCKS.

(and now i realize that the same server has caused a Double post glitch. man i hate this.)