PDA

View Full Version : Coalition Forces

carrot red
09-23-2003, 03:31 AM
Do you think Iraqis are ready to govern their own country or not?
Is the presence of the Coalition Forces still necessary in Iraq, in your opinion?
What do you think the next step should be?

Starkist
09-23-2003, 03:44 AM
Do you think Iraqis are ready to govern their own country or not?

No. They have been under a dictatorship for too long. Even our own country at its founding modeled its government on such assemblies as the Virginia House of Burgesses. Iraq has no such local example, and its neighbours are just as bad as it once was.

Is the presence of the Coalition Forces still necessary in Iraq, in your opinion?

Yes. The people who we fought are the people who are now blowing themselves up to kill our troops, and they are the people who want nothing to do with democracy. If we pull our troops out now, Iraq will be an Islamo-Fascist state before you can blink.

What do you think the next step should be?

Rebuild the economy and slowly introduce representative government, keeping France and Germany OUT OF THE LOOP! France and Germany would have stood by and left Saddam alone, no matter what resolutions the UN passed. They would rather oppose America than help the Iraqi people, and they would do nothing but harm to the society we're trying to help build.

slothman
09-23-2003, 05:23 AM
They're just as ready as the U.S. is. I mean most Americans don't know exactly what ther are voting for. And what if Iraq votes a dictatorship? Will we remove that too? When will they be ready? What are the signs. When we aren't attacked? Maybe they just don't like us? When Shrub (hehe this'll get Starkist) says they are ready?

C-Dawg
09-23-2003, 08:13 AM
Starkist has some of the right ideas, but entirely the wrong sentiments. Coalition forces need to be in charge of rebuilding Iraq not because we're the only nations that can be trusted; it's because we've made the post-war mess, and now we've got a responsibility to fix it. And improve on it, hopefully.

Saying that we can't trust France or Russia or anything because they tolerate dictators is hypocracy of the worst calibur- the States have frequently tolerated dictators when it suits their purposes. You can find horrible examples of this in the past, but in addition: current dictatorships we tolerate include Saudi Arabi, Pakistain, Syria...

Let's be honest here. We attacked Iraq because a group of people with power decided it was in the nation's interests. Thats the same reason we are rebuilding the nation. I didn't want to go to war, but since the democratic process (sorta) led us there, let's keep up the iron fist long enough to export our culture to Iraq. Serve the national interests of creating another friendly Arab state while hopefully helping those people out.

-C

Starkist
09-23-2003, 08:23 AM
It's not that France and Germany tolerate dictators in general, I know that we have done the same. My point is that France and Germany tolerated THIS dictator. They refused to enforce the very same UN Resolution they voted for against Iraq and its regime. They refused to join the party but now they want to dictate the rebuilding.

C-Dawg
09-23-2003, 08:37 AM
And we want them to help because it's costing us billions of dollars. (Nothing like dumping your cash in Iraq to help rebuild the American economy...) If they tolerated Hussien, what makes you think they won't tolerate whatever government we set up? Are you just worried that their "hearts arn't in it" or something equally mushy?

-C

Yoshiman
09-23-2003, 05:18 PM
We should stay in Iraq to help them clean up, considering that we made most of the mess. I mean, would you clean up a mess that your brother/sister made in your room, or have them do it?

I also think that Iraq should become a government like ours. I know there's a word for that, but it slipped my mind. Iraq has too much poverty and we need to fix that, because we're one of the most powerful countries to date.

Yoshiman
09-23-2003, 05:21 PM
We should stay in Iraq to help them clean up, considering that we made most of the mess. I mean, would you clean up a mess that your brother/sister made in your room, or have them do it?

I also think that Iraq should become a government like ours. I know there's a word for that, but it slipped my mind. Iraq has too much poverty and we need to fix that, because we're one of the most powerful countries to date.

EDIT: D'oh, accidental double-post. Sorry :uhoh: Stupid browser.

AlexMax
09-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Coalition forces stuck their neck into Iraq. If they just leave it hanging, Bush would lose his oil when some other dictatorship rises up and kicks the US off their pipelines.

And oh yeah, we have an obligation to help Iraq get up off their feet. Simply saying "OK, we're buying their oil, thats enough" isn't going to cut it.