PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Tygore
09-21-2003, 02:25 PM
If anyone has this game, I was wondering: for when you construct your saber, is there a hilt similar to Count Dooku's from Episode II? You know, with the bend in the middle? I know it's not in the demo, but I thought it might be in the full version.

Aegis Runestone
09-21-2003, 02:39 PM
No there isn't. I don't think so. But it's sweet game isn't it? :)

Tygore
09-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Darn. Oh well, I'll probably buy it anyway.

Aegis Runestone
09-23-2003, 07:32 AM
Yah it's sweet. I like the game so far. I've played with the Double-bladed in the Demo, very fun. :D

ShadowTiger
09-23-2003, 12:05 PM
So if I saw the game on a shelf at Target about 40 miles away, should I get it? .. I mean, at all, for $10? Is it that good? I liked the Original, but mostly because it was one of the first "good" games that I'de ever played. I had just gotten my PII 300 MHZ in 1998, so I started playing. :p

Aegis Runestone
09-23-2003, 02:25 PM
O_O Jedi Academy is $10!? No way...that's not possible.

Dart Zaidyer
09-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Jedi Academy is the game Jedi Outcast should have been.

And no, there's no Dooku-type saber hilt, but a savvy modder can make one and have it selectable in the game.
In fact, I think it's been done already.

Don't count on any new material for customizing your character until someone makes it, either. As it turns out, all the custom stuff is all part of one model, and to get what you want, the game has to slyly turn off all the materials except what you've chosen.

And as far as multiplayer goes: Siege mode is a blast. Watch out for Duel mode, though: You'll often find players eager to bitch and whine about how badly lightsabers suck, or who will impose the moronic "honor code" upon you under penalty of vote-kicking because "OMG SABER DOWN=PEACE". (If you're going to shut off your lightsaber and start chatting up a storm in the middle of a duel while other people have to watch and wait their turn, you deserve to die.)
Remember never to bow to anyone, and take their bowing as a free shot.

Aegis Runestone
09-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Dart_Zader

And as far as multiplayer goes: Siege mode is a blast. Watch out for Duel mode, though: You'll often find players eager to bitch and whine about how badly lightsabers suck, or who will impose the moronic "honor code" upon you under penalty of vote-kicking because "OMG SABER DOWN=PEACE". (If you're going to shut off your lightsaber and start chatting up a storm in the middle of a duel while other people have to watch and wait their turn, you deserve to die.)
Remember never to bow to anyone, and take their bowing as a free shot.

I always bow to others in battle. You are ROLE-PLAYING A JEDI. As for talking in battle, script taunts. Fortunely, I know a good clan I can play with. :)

Dart Zaidyer
09-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Aegis Runestone

You are ROLE-PLAYING A JEDI.

The mentality which was the direct cause of the death of all fun in Jedi Outcast multiplayer gaming, ladies and gentlemen.

After JediMod struck the world with all it's fancy unbalanced gameplay and 300 billion emotes, we began to see RPG servers. Most of them had a sort of "Jedi Honor Code" that was directly imposed on all players under penalty of a humiliating ban, that may or may not include vehement and unwarranted flaming toward anyone who, for example, so much as sneezed at a guy whose lightsaber was deactivated. Or didn't bow before a duel.

Eventually, the "Honor Code" bled into the rest of the servers out there, destroying everything in its path. And it's spreading to Jedi Academy.

Already on JA, I have been outright directly flamed and vote-banned for not bowing to my opponent before proceeding to flay him alive in a Duel. JUST FOR NOT BOWING, thank you very much.
Fortunately, the last server I did that on was one that didn't allow vote banning, and I was given the chance to make my case and prove that non-adherence to the "Honor Code" does not make one a lamer. I was the highest scoring player in the bunch without exploiting or spamming a single attack to ensure victory, or even being an ass. It was all legitimate: knowing how the system works and adjusting my tactics to whatever was thrown at me.

Even then, these actions inspired bitching that was directed either at me, because I was playing well yet shattering the rigid "Honor Code", or at the game, because they don't know how it works and want it changed to fit their childish needs.

In time however, the players came to accept me and my ways, and I taught a whole server how to play to win and question the "rules of engagement" set down by politically correct whiners for talentless fools.

Without more vigilante justice centered on debunking this idiocy, I fear Jedi Academy will turn into "intense chatroom action in the Star Wars universe! Bow to your opponents for 5 minutes before engaging in rare, actual gameplay, that isn't very effective for winning at all because people complained when it was!"

zables
09-25-2003, 01:37 PM
LOL no kidding eh zader?
ya, i bought the game, (man thats sad, im actually breaking down and paying for software now... jeezz) anyways, i havent played online with Jedi Academy yet, but i do know that single player kicks an unwholesome ammount of ass...
if you dont own this game its simlpe; BUY IT. its worth it.

Speaking of Jedi Academy, does anyone know where i can find some mods for the game? ive been looking high and low, and all im finding are just Jedi Knight II mods,
i mean massassi temples got nuthin which is rather suprising, but i cant seem to find anywhere else that has them...
maybe its just because the game was just released and all, but none the less...

Aegis Runestone
09-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Okay, Dart....remind me never to play with you then. For one thing you're taking it too seriously. You don't have to bow if you don't want to. But in most servers if you start attacking when the person is bowing you will be kicked/banned. If they start complaining about you not-bowing, kill'em. I don't complain when people don't bow, but I complain when someone kills me for bowing. I'm not being stupid, I'm showing respect for the other player, at least that's my intention when I bow.

Dart Zaidyer
09-25-2003, 05:47 PM
I usually don't attack misguided players unprovoked, only elitist "honor code" snobs, and only to make a point. I'm easy to get along with, really.

Oh, and Zables, I've found that certain mods from JKII will work just fine on Jedi Academy, but only the small stuff like saber trail replacements and possibly sound effects.
And a great many of the best JKII models and skins out there will work just fine in JA multiplayer, but not with their own sounds for some reason. (For example, Mace Windu and Darth Vader end up uttering generic male character taunts, rather than the famous quotes included with the models.)

Aegis Runestone
09-26-2003, 07:40 AM
JediMod wasn't that fun anyways.

Hey, can you access the Reborn_Boss Skin in JA the same way you could access it in JKII? Because you can use reborn skins in JA(they are in multiplayer ;)).

ShadowTiger
09-26-2003, 08:26 AM
OMG! :eek: You can BOW?!? * BH4 starts bowing to the walls. .. Heh. I can't believe a game would go into such details. And yes, Aegis, I DID see a Jedi Knight game on the shelf at Target for $10. I'm not sure if it was Jedi Outcast OR Jedi Academy. (Because honestly, I hadn't heard of Jedi Academy until just now. ;) ) I think the game on the shelf was Jedi Knight II, whatever good that does you.

Aegis Runestone
09-26-2003, 04:33 PM
I already own JK2, I also own JK1 :)

But I REALLY doubt JA is ten dollars, if it is. I wouldn't buy it, probably a fake.

Dart Zaidyer
09-26-2003, 04:48 PM
The JA box looks like the JKII box, except the logo is on stone rather than on straight black over a lightsaber beam.

The Reborn Boss skin can be accessed by picking the Team Red version of the classic Reborn in multiplayer. As for the actual NPC, It may be possible if you had the NPC definition entry so the game would know what it is.

Aegis Runestone
10-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Dude! I got JA! What's your nicknames on multiplayer? I'm Lastshadow.