PDA

View Full Version : Boktai: The Sun is in your Hands

Grasshopper
09-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Did anyone pick this game up this week? So far, I thought it was pretty cool. Sort of reminds me of an action packed Equinox game. I don't see the RPG elements in it yet.

Normal light doesn't affect the solar cell like everyone has stated. And since you MUST have sunlight to fight the bosses, you're going to have to get by a window or go outside. You can beat them faster if the sun is really shining cause the piledrivers power is stronger. I did stick it up to my flouresent blacklight I have by the bed, and while its not too strong, I did see the sun meter go up one block. :) I won't cheat though, besides its to hard to see with only a blacklight right up on the screen.

Master Ghaleon
09-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Just move a little lamp near ya and take off the cover and shine it on there like that :P

Blonde799
09-20-2003, 09:58 PM
It looks as if the developers did their homework.:laughing:

Pablo
09-21-2003, 12:37 PM
It's games like this that make me wish I had a working GBA, or any interest in handheld gaming.

vegeta1215
09-21-2003, 05:14 PM
I'd like to try this game out, but Blockbuster doesn't rent GBA games anymore :( Those of you that have it will have to keep telling us about it. If it's that good and not too short, I might get it.

linkofzelda1
09-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Seems like kind of a dumb idea to me. It's cool that the GBA can do that kind of thing, but... why?

Blonde799
09-21-2003, 08:34 PM
To get people to go outside and play I guess.:shrug: Maybe too many japanese are sitting at home like us?:laughing:

Pablo
09-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Seems like kind of a dumb idea to me. It's cool that the GBA can do that kind of thing, but... why?

Think about it (don't hurt yourself). The game is about hunting vampires. The developers needed something to make the game stand out. So, in, an inspired fit of creativity, they decided to incorporate vampires' greatest weakness-the sun!-into the game.

Does that clear things up?

NOTE: I apologize for the sarcasm. I was in a very bad mood. Don't take it personally. :)

linkofzelda1
09-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Ahh. I see. I had never read the storyline, I had only heard about the sun absorber thingy-ma-bobber. Makes more sense now. I'll have to give it a try :)

Grasshopper
09-23-2003, 01:23 PM
I notice the reviews are pretty much depend on how you view the whole concept. Like some reviews, Game Informer gave it a bad rating because the guy didn't like sitting outside because he sweats. And you can't play when its stormy because you have no sun. Others places gave it better reviews if they enjoy the way its played. Like yesterday, it was rainy all day, and I couldn't get a speck of sunlight to up my sun meter even by one block. Its not like you don't have items you can use to boost the gun's ammo back up if you run out of juice. The game IS moderatly fun afterall, and thats the whole point of the game is sunlight. So if you don't mind the idea behind it, you might like it.

Ian
09-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Apparently, the Sun absorber is supposed to still pick up rays of sun in the clouds. You should see if it works. If not, e-mail nintendo about it, and give em' an earfull :p

Grasshopper
09-23-2003, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it does, on cloudy days, but when it storming outside, um, no. Today was a "beautiful Boktai day" for me though. :D