PDA

View Full Version : Freedom vs. Security

bigjoe
09-19-2003, 02:37 PM
This is where we're at , politically , here in the United States. We're at the part where we decide what we want more. Freedom or Security. Do we give up our right to bear arms in exchange for maintenance of our septic system? Will gas mask issues suffice for not being able to go outside after 10 P.M. ?

Freedom can be as extreme as denouncing citizenship, while security can be as extreme as setting up concentration camps.

It doesnt matter. Your defenition of freedom and security are your own. Just speak your mind on the subject.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."-Mao Zedong

Blonde799
09-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Sacrifice is a popular way of dealing with what we cannot compromise. I'm too uncertain.

theplustwo
09-19-2003, 02:49 PM
i choose freedom. i don't need 'big brother' taking care of me every where i go. if i go on a plane or in a subway, i understand the inherent risks i am subjecting myself too.

it is not the governments fault if some terrorists can hijack a plane, or anything else. the government should not be expected to stop any possible terrorism, because that sinks down to the level of thoughtcrime.

did you ever contemplate shooting someone? then you are a threat to 'homeland security'. however, this country is already very safe. i don't think it needs much more strict security laws.

people focus too much on the rare occurences of terrorism rather than the gigantic spaces of peace inbetween. nothing will bring any of the 9/11 victims back, and putting cameras in all public places is not defending freedom, it is eliminating it.

i don't know about you, but i believe absolute power corrupts absolutely, and if the government has the ability to watch everyone, all the time, people who even mention criminal activity will start to 'disappear'.

not that this will happen anytime soon, but it is what we are moving toward if all of this fake patriotism, scared shitless bullshit continues.

i for one am going to go on living my life the same as i did before september eleventh.

Axel
09-19-2003, 03:10 PM
umm.... ok, I guess that basically sums up everything I was going to say.

"Down with Big Brother!" :D

Master Ghaleon
09-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I rather have freedom then anything else really

VEL
09-20-2003, 12:13 AM
I chose freedom. I also see that no one has chosen security.

Starkist
09-20-2003, 12:22 AM
Of course everyone is going to choose freedom, because that's the way the poll is slanted. :rolleyes:

Ich
09-20-2003, 12:35 AM
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
-Benjamin Franklin

Enough said.

bigjoe
09-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Starkist
Of course everyone is going to choose freedom, because that's the way the poll is slanted. :rolleyes:

My post is not a part of the poll. The poll is self explanatory. My post represents an article completely seperate from the poll.

Woah , 13 votes for freedom. Wonder how Ashcroft would like that.

Cloral
09-20-2003, 02:24 AM
Make that 14.

People have said that those opposed to the new measures that invade privacy are unpatriotic. However, a quick look at the constitution will reveal that the reverse is true.

MANDRAG GANON
09-20-2003, 07:33 PM
I feel sorry for Security, no one is picking him :( some people are so mean. Votes for security to make him feel better.

C-Dawg
09-22-2003, 02:12 PM
This is a false dichotomy. You don't have to sacrifice one to get more of the other. For instance, most of the patriot act is a list of reasonable changes that streamline cooperation between law enforcement agencies- that's all good. Making law enforcement work more smoothly doesn't take away any freedom, and it certainly improves our security.

But then suddenly the Patriot Act jumps into new territory and allows expansive new monitoring powers, allows for citizens to be sworn to secrecy about how those monitoring powers are used, and tossing the idea of habeaus corpus out the window. And it's justified by saying citizens must give up freedom in times of crisis.

Bullshit.

-C

Shadowblazer
09-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Freedom != Anarchy
Security != Oppression

The world isn't as black and white as you're making it out to be.

I-Man
09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Real freedom can't really be taken away by anyone but yourself... As long as they aren't reading your mind, you always have a sanctuary of thought.