PDA

View Full Version : Where does it all go? (put it in perspective)

fatcatfan
09-19-2003, 11:43 AM
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_091803/content/institute.guest.html
Today, 2003, the federal budget is over 2.2 trillion, and of that 2.2 trillion how many of you know what we're spending on education? I know a lot of you think that it's not enough. We're spending $745 billion, and actually that number is 2001-2002. It's not the most recent number, probably $11 to 15 billion higher, but we'll stick with what's cast in stone, $745 billion. We're spending $745 billion on education, more than any country in the world. It's not even close. Our test scores are less, we're [not] anywhere near the top, we're not getting any kind of a bang for the buck for it, $745 billion we're spending on education. Only 13 or 14 years ago the total take to the treasury was $915 billion, and there are Democrats and even some Republicans who want to try to convey the notion that we're not spending enough on education.

Meanwhile, total Iraq war expenditures are in the neighborhood of $142 billion.You out there, Axel? Still think we need to spend more money on education? Instead we need to reform the educational system, not throw more money at it.

Blonde799
09-19-2003, 11:46 AM
What we need to do, is not give out homework to teh poor children.:laughing: It wastes more money.:p

Starkist
09-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Most education money ends up in the hands of the unions anyway.

Blonde799
09-19-2003, 11:59 AM
And I'm sure saving trees would help.:p

Save a tree..........

.......Eat a beaver.:laughing:

carrot red
09-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
Still think we need to spend more money on education? Instead we need to reform the educational system, not throw more money at it.
Talk about money throwing.

Bill Gates Gives $51 Million to New York Schools (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030918/od_nm/schools_dc_1)

The world's wealthiest college drop-out is donating millions of dollars to help New York City students stay in high school.

gdorf
09-19-2003, 10:45 PM
My school gets at least $4500 per student, per year. Frankly, I don't understand why I have to carry 6 books around in my bag each day if they have that kind of money to work with. I also don't understand why a barnd new school was built with 150 less parking spots than it needs.

Meh, people don't know how to spend money. The more you give them, the more they need.