PDA

View Full Version : PC Sound

linkofzelda1
09-18-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm built this computer about 2 months ago. It was working fine until I reformatted it for like the fourth time about a week ago. I reinstalled the OS, loaded the drivers, did everything I normally do... Except the sound doesn't work. I'm running XP, with a DFI lanparty pro875 motherboard, so the sound is built in to it, so I don't need a sound card. I've opened it up, screwed with it, reinstalled the drivers, and both my dad and my friend have given it a shot. But I still can't hear my muzak!!

Any ideas?

Knowing me, it's probably some completely obvious little thing that I am missing. Thanks in advance.

Flash Man
09-18-2003, 11:09 PM
First off one would need to know what you can hear out of your speakers. Whether or not you can hear standard windows sounds, midis, other wavs, mp3s, cds.

If you can't hear anything, you need to properly install the drivers for your motherboard, checking in the device manager to make sure there are no devices with exclamation points or question marks. If there are you forgot to install something. Secondly be sure to install your chipset drivers. If that still doesn't give you any sound what so ever from your speakers, be sure that the speakers are plugged into Line Out, usually Green. Also some sound cards required amplified speakers, not just ones without power. Finally check your volume, software and hardware. If all the above don't work then i'd say your on board sound is out and i'd get an RMA from dfi for your motherboard as soon as possible.

If you can get sound, wavs, mp3s, midis etc and not CDs to play be sure you have your audio cable hooked up to whichever cdrom drive you have and onto the motherboard.

linkofzelda1
09-18-2003, 11:42 PM
I can't get anything so far, but I dunno about system beeps... Those are produced internally, right?

Anyway, i'll check it out, but I have already installed the chipset drivers and everything. I guess if your suggestions don't work, I'll try updating them...

I'm certain I don't need amplified speakers, because I happen to have a set of both and they both worked prior to reformatting.

Demimore
09-19-2003, 02:45 AM
Just a silly note, but it happened to my friend; are the speakers connected to the right plug? It's the green one you know.

Otherwise, you could try reinstalling Windows. That might do it.

(Or, if you have turned off the sound in the volume program in Windows).

Flash Man
09-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Flash Man
be sure that the speakers are plugged into Line Out, usually Green. Finally check your volume, software and hardware.