PDA

View Full Version : The New $20 Bill!!!

Starkist
09-18-2003, 08:48 PM
http://www.adage.com/images/random/money0915_big.jpg

This time it's serious. :)

Saffith
09-18-2003, 08:52 PM
We could use more colorful money. That gray and dull green is pretty boring.
People say money ought to look serious, but, well, those people all suck. :p

Mitsukara
09-18-2003, 09:29 PM
I think they should sack Jackson on the $20, he always hated the idea of 'paper money' anyway (actually, when he was president he attacked the bank system of the time, favoring simple usage of precious metals rather than bank notes)... instead, they should use Fred Ward (http://www.filmstar.de/entertainment/stars/f/fred_ward.jpg), because he looks like a president. And by gummit, he should be the president. Maybe he'll run in the recall election, at least.

Pablo
09-18-2003, 09:45 PM
I don't care what color my $20 is, as long as I've got it.

The redesign is nice, though. I like it.

Dart Zaidyer
09-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Wait... It's colored money but it looks... tasteful!

Still, it doesn't change the fact that it's a baseless piece of paper which, at best, is a representative of some phantom standard that apparently has dramatically increasing quantity. Sort of like the RIAA's supply of boy-bands and the $25 dollar CDs they churn out which are really worth less than half that, even to cover shipping, handling, and store markup.

carrot red
09-19-2003, 03:23 AM
I don't like it. Jackson looks like a hunchback in it (no offense.)
If this is their idea of more colorful money, it sucks.
Very bad specimen.

Ganonator
09-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Strange.. he sorta does have a hump on his back. Maybe it was an artist gone mad selectee....

I do like the idea though.. the less copyable they are, the more valuable the money is. A lot of people don't see that, i guess.

Daarkseid
09-19-2003, 03:46 AM
I agree that they should get rid of Andrew Jackson... he is only significant because he held office for 8 years at a time of massive change in the US, particularly in communications between the states, as well as brisk expansion westward. He also broke with the Supreme Court's ruling in favor of a suit filed on behalf of the native Americans in south, by simply stating that the high court uphold it themselves, and thereby helping to initiate the trail of tears.. the details of which I'm not horribly familiar with, but it essentially evicted several tribes from the areas making up Georgia and Mississippi, and forced to relocate to Oklahoma. During this time the people being led on a forced march were deprived of their possessions.

No, I dare say we not keep this monster on the 20... there are worse presidents sure, but I think we could at least find a president whose tenure was more benign than anything.

J.J. Maxx
09-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Yeah, we need to put JFK on the 20.

Drunken Tiger
09-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Hrmm.. from the first time ive seen the greenback to now.. Ive counted 3 changes...:p

Dont know why i mentioned that.. But yeah... :thumbsup:

moocow
09-19-2003, 10:27 AM
I think it's pretty. They should take AJ off the $20 bill, and put Breaker on it. Sounds like a good idea to me :D

Anyway, I like it. Though, the colors clash a bit, it's nice. *shrug* Something different is always good...

Mitsukara
09-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Well, more seriously, I personally would be all for putting Thomas Jefferson on the $20. From what I've read he played a very important part in the writing of the constitution, managed to maintain mildly peaceful relations with France and England in a fairly shaky time (during the immediate aftereffects of the French Revolution but prior to the War of 1812, when Americans had extremely mixed feelings about France and relations with England were deteriorating), paid off the national debt of the time, and managed to handle the Louisiana Purchase deal fairly well (though, if I recall reading correctly, he didn't actually realize the full extent of the deal when he sent the guys to negotiate, and they agreed prior to his being informed... but I could be wrong about that). On the whole it sounds like he handled things pretty well in his presidency and played an important part in laying the groundwork for the country, as he, after all, did supposedly write much of the constitution, amongst other things I don't really remember...

Anyway, I know Jefferson was on the $2, but if I'm not mistaken the 2 dollar bill is long out of print, and was never very practical anyway. Therefore it might make sense to put him on the $20 instead. But I doubt they'll do that at this point...

I know this might be a stupid question, but why does the new one say "SPECIMEN" on it, anyway? I never noticed it saying specimen anywhere on it before... of course, I don't have one at the moment to check (I would have $57, but my parents owe me $50 that they had to borrow)...

Blonde799
09-19-2003, 01:37 PM
That head just looks a little too creepy on those shoulders if ya ask me.:laughing:

PrfectGREG
09-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Bling Bling yo, Is that out yet, I really wanna get a bunch. It would be sick.

bigjoe
09-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Damn , now how am I gonna make money?

Just kidding =p

vegeta1215
09-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
I agree that they should get rid of Andrew Jackson... he is only significant because he held office for 8 years at a time of massive change in the US, particularly in communications between the states, as well as brisk expansion westward.

I remember when we studied the presidents in history class, Jackson was my favorite. He was also the first Democrat.

Originally posted by Jennifer
Anyway, I know Jefferson was on the $2, but if I'm not mistaken the 2 dollar bill is long out of print, and was never very practical anyway. Therefore it might make sense to put him on the $20 instead. But I doubt they'll do that at this point...

I think $2 bills are still in print. During the summer, someone paid for something at my work with a nice crisp 2001 $2 bill. I was very surprised cause I didn't think they printed them anymore either. I hope they don't stop making $2 bills. It has the best artwork of any bill on the back- the signing of the declaration of independence.

Daarkseid
09-19-2003, 04:49 PM
Andrew Jackson was populist, and yes, the first true democrat bastard after breaking with Jefferson's original Republican party. His policy of opposing a national bank was also ill conceived because the national treasury needed to be held in banks, and with the destruction of the national bank by Jackson's policies, the treasury was then put into several smaller, less dependable "wild cat" banks that went on printing more bank notes than they had actual cash. This led to these banks going bust, causing the national treasury to become effectively bust.

The 2 dollar bill is infact in print and you can easily get some 2 dollar bills if you ask for them at the bank. And I agree Jefferson should be on the 20, he was a much finer president than Jackson ever was, and was a more important figure in US history.

AlphaDawg
09-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
The 2 dollar bill is infact in print and you can easily get some 2 dollar bills if you ask for them at the bank. And I agree Jefferson should be on the 20, he was a much finer president than Jackson ever was, and was a more important figure in US history. I currently have only $8 in $2 bills in my drawer at work (it was once as high as $128). Either way somebody come and take them please! While you're at it take my $50 in Kennedy half-dollars and $200 in mixed dollar coins as well.

Anyway, fans of the $2 bill will be happy to hear that some $300 million worth of new bills will be printed and introduced into circulation later this year, along with the aforementioned new $20. I don't think they're changing the design of the $2 though.