PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Isabel!!!

Master Ghaleon
09-17-2003, 07:58 PM
This hurricane should hit the US sometime tommorow night prolly. For the people that live on the east coast, are you scared? Has anyone moved away from their homes yet? I dunno if I have too much to worry about yet, so im not scared. I just hope that everyone will be safe.

phattonez
09-17-2003, 08:00 PM
I don't think anyone is in any danger. Everybody evacuated by now. It looks like its gonna be a huge hurricane. What do the levels of a hurricane mean. For instance I heard that this was a level 2.

Prrkitty
09-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Good luck everyone in the way and those around it. I survived Hurricane Hugo....an interesting experience but one I'd rather not do again. God Bless and be safe everyone :)

Dechipher
09-17-2003, 08:11 PM
We all gonna die! An' Ima eat yo baby!

I hope everyone's safe. Perhaps it will miss and mostly hit forests and such. Then again, there aren't too many forests on the east coast, but what would I know? I live in Oklahoma.

Jigglysaint
09-17-2003, 08:40 PM
We're getting the leftovers so this should be quite interesting.

deathbyhokie
09-17-2003, 08:56 PM
one of my friends had her university evacuated. they were forcing everyone out of the dorms as of tonight. so she's home at least until the weekend. and i got tomorrow off! woohoo!

Mitsukara
09-17-2003, 11:28 PM
I live in Texas, so I doubt it'll get over here unless it's, like, some evil cursed storm that will destroy the world, or something.

What I am worried about is that there are some people I know who do live in that area- namely Amber and Ibis. I think they live around the center of Virginia (near DBH), so I don't know if the hurricane will get that far or not... I haven't heard from either of them in quite a while, so I don't really know what's going on... I really hope they're okay...

AlexMax
09-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Do you not care about me? I live right in the middle of North Carolina, you insensitive clod! :D (j/k)

Of course, I'm a few hours away from the coast, so I should be safe...but then again, nobody ever expected Hurricane Hugo back a dozen or so years ago to go as far inland as it did...

Master Ghaleon
09-18-2003, 12:03 AM
Right now winds about 105 MPH moving nnw 15 mph. Should hit around late noon??

Note : Increasing of moving speed

Thinking about noon it will hit land

Happyman
09-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Schools were canceled for me Thursday and Friday. I live in central VA, and my science teacher (a weather freak) says that it's going to hit us, and in fact spent an entire class period telling how to cope with a power outage...

I don't like this.

Skulkraken
09-18-2003, 08:19 AM
Typhoons (hurricanes in the Western Pacific) come by Guam every few years. Most of the time, they're only around 90 mph, though they occasionally hit harder than that. The last few to hit were supertyphoons, meaning they had winds of at least 150 mph. One even hit 200 mph. On top of that, the typhoon that hit in 1997 had not one but TWO eye walls, and made a U-turn and hit Guam twice before leaving. It's the price to pay for living in a place where it's always summer.

Quit whining about having to go through a power outage. Here, it's common to have power outages, water outages, phone outages, and internet outages, sometimes for weeks on end. If you have ever had to deal with not having power for a month or had no water for at least a week in 90 degree weather, then you have something to whine about.

DarkPanther
09-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by phattonez
What do the levels of a hurricane mean. For instance I heard that this was a level 2.

The worst it can get is a level 5, which it was when it was still way out there. Fortunately it has "died down" to a 2.

J.J. Maxx
09-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by phattonez
What do the levels of a hurricane mean. For instance I heard that this was a level 2.

Forecasters use the Saffir-Simpson Scale to judge the nastiness of hurricanes. It's based on wind speed and the size of the gnarley waves it creates. Here's the scale just for kicks and giggles:

Saffir-Simpson Scale
[LIST=5]
Minimal - Winds: 74-95 mph - Waves: 4-5 ft.

Moderate - Winds: 96-110 mph winds - Waves: 6-8 ft.

Extensive - Winds: 111-130 mph winds - Waves: 9-12 ft.

Extreme - Winds: 131-155 mph winds - Waves: 13-18 ft.

Catastrophic - Winds: 156 mph winds - Waves: 18 ft. +
[/LIST=5]

Master Ghaleon
09-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Dechipher
We all gonna die! An' Ima eat yo baby!

Stay away from my baby fool!:whap:

It hit land, now we wait to see what damage it does.

Yoshiman
09-18-2003, 04:33 PM
I think Pennsylvania is a little too far west for me to have to worry. It looks a little cloudy out, but not dark. I hope that anyone living on the east coast (West Virginia, ect.) comes out okay.