PDA

View Full Version : What is your Cinematic Continue Action

ShadowTiger
09-14-2003, 01:36 PM
You know, when a quest goes into a cinematic display, and eventually you're asked to "Press Right" or something? Why? If the game didn't tell you which direction to press, which direction (OR DIRECTIONS) would you go in?

C-Dawg
09-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Don't set a particular direction. Make it so that whatever the player pushes moves the cinematic along. That way, you dont have to give them any directions, as they'll mash buttons and make it work, then get used to it.

-C

ShadowTiger
09-14-2003, 02:27 PM
True, but this leads to an increased dependency on that. I just leave the player invisible in the lower right corner. There, they can press down OR right, and they're not hindered by any text if they were put in the upper something corner. 2 out of 4 directions aren't bad, and there are very few additional cinematic tweaks which must be added. Once more, the only things necessary to pull off a "lower-Right" Link stunt is for him to be invisible, having a working Side warp, and him being in the lower right corner. Thankfully, ALL of these things are simple enough to accomplish.

C-Dawg
09-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Or you can just simplify the whole process by using layers and stair warps. No worries about link warping to the upper side of the screen then. And no reason to restrict Link's motion either.

I dont understand why everyone uses Side warps for cinematics when tile warps are so much more reliable...

-C

Dart Zaidyer
09-14-2003, 02:54 PM
It doesn't make a lot of sense to allow the player to go in only one direction, when it's quite easy not to.

Depending on the cutscene, I might use Timed Warps that may or may not optionally let the player advance the scene ahead of time by moving. It's quite useful for, say, bosses exploding and Link doing the victory pose.

Petoe
09-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Because in my earliest cutscenes the player is able to move only down, that's the case in the other cutscenes too. I think I should change as many scenes as I can, but it's impossible to change them all anymore because of one trick I'm using...

ShadowTiger
09-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Or you can just simplify the whole process by using layers and stair warps. No worries about link warping to the upper side of the screen then. And no reason to restrict Link's motion either.

I dont understand why everyone uses Side warps for cinematics when tile warps are so much more reliable...Oh, rest assured, I agree. I've tried it once, but it was much more "difficult" to do, but had the same effect, more or less. And if I tell the player to move down or right, chances are, they'll do it. :shrug:

DarkFlameWolf
09-14-2003, 06:31 PM
except me. I'll go left or something. j/k ;)

Ganonator
09-14-2003, 07:53 PM
I have personally found down + right to work the best. Its the most natural for the keyboard configuration. Think about it - you read to the right, and down. You continue to the right, and down.

Yoshiman
09-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Either left or down. But sometimes, I just press buttons :)

KJAZZ
09-15-2003, 12:21 AM
I just press whatever buttons. I would probably hit right or down first, though. It doesn't really matter that much to me.

StarFox
09-15-2003, 01:27 AM
I use all directions. It's less confusing that way. Just plop Link somewhere on the screen, make him invisible, and put stair warps all around him. No confusion in which direction to press, no worrying about giving the player instructions. Now, if I need the player to make a choice, I still put Link in the middle of the room, but I limit the directions he can choose to however many choices he can make. I put solid combos in the other directions. And I make sure the player knows which direction corresponds to each choice.

It may also be good practice to disable the player's sword and items if you're really picky. You don't want Link laying a bomb and hurting himself. Of course, if you do put Link in the corner of the room with the dungeon barriers, you don't need to worry about that.

MottZilla
09-15-2003, 01:12 PM
The player must do a rain dance in my quests to get through the cinema scenes.

Mr. Z
09-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Mostly up or down.
I use "all directions once" in a while.

ShadowTiger
09-16-2003, 07:39 AM
True, that is nice to have, but the Down+Right (Or other combinations of,) help to preserve adding excess layers. So what if the player can't walk up or left, they have down and right. Surely the player won't only be pressing left or up when they want to go to another scene. That would be sheer ludacrous.

Mr. Z
09-17-2003, 06:03 AM
In Tgottd I show an arrow in the direction Link has to walk at the last letter of the string.
< > ^ or v
Now you don't have to guess!

Cronic
09-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Using left and right, but doing so in accord with whomever is speaking... Most of my cut scenes are done via a communicator, and there's a flashing arrow indicating not only who's speaking, but also which direction the player neads to go to continue...

All in all it's the only near impressive thing i've managed to thrwo together... It's a lot of work to sync up that much stuff.

Cloral
09-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg

I dont understand why everyone uses Side warps for cinematics when tile warps are so much more reliable...

-C

It's hold over from when the only way to get Link invisible was to put him on the edge of a screen with the dmap set to dungeon. Somehow the tradition became to make it the bottom of the screen, and has stuck since.

I haven't tried this, but would it work to make the cutscene advance by pressing A? What I'm thinking is to put sword triggers all around Link and then have a stair warp appear beneath him. The only problem is that you might have to have Link move before the stair warp would register. Also, if you do fast text with the A button, Link slashes as soon as the text is done, so that might be a slight issue.

Nick
09-22-2003, 09:44 PM
Pressing right is a general habit for me and all of my cutscenes use it.

I just find using sidewarps faster since you don't really have to worry about flooding the screen with warps or whatever. I also find it useful when I actually have to make use of layer 0 in a cutscene.