PDA

View Full Version : making a quest w/out triforce pieces

idontknow
09-14-2003, 01:32 PM
first off, i'm wondering how many people have actually made a full length quest where there are no triforce pieces to collect at all?

secondly, here's something neat i thought of that makes it so that you can select something other than a "triforce":
1. after defeating the boss, make it so that you can enter a screen with a "kill all enemies" item in the middle of the room
2. in this room, add a "trigger" enemy & check the boss enemy flag.
3. repeat steps 1 & 2 for each level
4. now the complicating part: make a series of identical screens & make it so that you can't enter the top part of the screen unless you have collected all "kill all enemies" items from your quest--to do this:
--A. for each screen, place in a seperate dmap w/ level #s corresponding to each of the level #s of the dungeons where you collect the items
--B. for each screen, have a trigger enemy & check the boss flag.
--C. place secret flag 16 all over the floor & set its secret combo to that of an identical floor combo with the "pit" type.
--D. for the first screen in the series, which should be part of a "level 1" dmap for example, set its tile warp to an insta warp type leading to the next screen in the series, which should be "level 2". repeat for each screen, having the 2nd go to the 3rd, 3rd to the 4th, etc.
--E. the final screen in the series, should lead to a similar screen but where you can gain access to like the top half of the screen, or perhaps have a custom shutter appear to open.

Using this method, you can replace the triforce pieces w/ ur own type of collectable item & if ya never use dungeon dmaps, (where the triforce frame is displaced in the subscreen), then you never have to make reference to any triforce pieces in your quest--also, you can use this method to make as few, or as many collectable items as you want. Also, you can use this method for something like where if ya wanted triforce pieces, but also had to collect 3 spiritual stones (which would be the "kill all enemies" item) then you could do that--or perhaps, you could make it so that instead of having the room w/ the kill all enemies item trigger the boss flag, you could just have the boss room trigger the flag & then make it so that after all bosses iin the game are defeated, you can access a new area--there's many possibilities with this!!!

Petoe
09-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Well it's quite tough to make a quest without the triforce pieces because of the text "TRIFORCE" on the subscreen. If you're collecting pieces of pie for example, it just looks stupid because under the pie it says "TRIFORCE" :(

EDIT: I'm not stupid, I was just tired when I wrote this post. Of course you don't have to worry about the "TRIFORCE" text if you don't use the "overworld" DMap at all...

idontknow
09-14-2003, 04:41 PM
ya mean "if ya dont use the DUNGEON dmap at all", then you don't have to worry about the triforce text--in overworld dmaps, which pretty much everyone uses, the triforce frame does not show so if ya use it, then its not a problem but in dungeon dmaps, it does...if ya use cave dmaps however, in place of dungeons, for your main levels, then you shouldn't have to really worry about the triforce text

Petoe
09-14-2003, 04:45 PM
It is you who is confused, IDK. You can see the triforce text when you're on a overworld DMap, and only then. When you're on Cave or Dngn Dmaps you only see the map instead of the triforce frame.

C-Dawg
09-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, you can very well make a quest without triforce.

You're not only confused, IDK, but you're frequently innane. I wonder if there are quest makers who benefit from the laundry lists of design platitudes you make it your business to produce.

-C

Mr. Z
09-15-2003, 01:01 PM
IDK, you just spoiled Tgottd... :-p

C-Dawg
09-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Spoiled? Your quest's gimmick is not having triforce?

Whoop-de-frick'n shit. Take a hint from Prince, Peote, Dark... it takes more than one obvious design choice to make a memorable quest.

-C