PDA

View Full Version : Sing a song of Six Pence.

MANDRAG GANON
09-14-2003, 01:26 AM
Sing a song of sixpence
A pocket full of rye
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie

The King was in his counting house
Counting out his money
The Queen was in the parlor
Eating bread and honey

When the pie was opened
The birds began to sing
Was that not a tasty dish
To set before a king?

The Maid was in the garden
Hanging out the clothes
When down came a blackbird
And snapped off her nose!

Did you know this Nursery Rhyme was a coded message to recruit crew members for pirate ships? http://snopes.com/lost/sixpence.htm

Saffith
09-14-2003, 01:31 AM
Um...
http://www.snopes.com/humor/mediagoofs/sixpence.asp

The notion that the nursery rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence" was used as a recuiting song for pirates was invented by us as an example of a story so incredibly silly that no one could possibly believe it to be true. We created the Lost Legends section of our web site as a humorous repository for completely absurd "true" stories based on premises too ridiculous to be believable, and for one of the entries in this section we came up with a wild tale about the nursery rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence" having originated as a coded message used to recruit crew members for pirate ships, complete with a line-by-line explication of how it was sung in taverns by confederates of the notorious pirate Blackbeard to assemble crews for his prize-hunting expeditions. The whole idea was supposed to be far too outrageous to be taken seriously (picture in your mind's eye grim-faced pirates intent upon supplementing their crews roaming from pub to pub, belting out a children's rhyme), and in case any readers somehow missed the obvious humor, the page (like all entries in the Lost Legends section) included a link to supplemental page explaining that it was all just a gag.

MANDRAG GANON
09-14-2003, 01:39 AM
LoL, i feel stupid now, but hey It 2 o'clock in the morning and its hot as hell...it seemed believeable...woulda been cool if it was true tho..grr never listen to me again, for I am an idiot
then again they fooled TLC so.