PDA

View Full Version : Me and my Stubborn little secrets.

ShadowTiger
09-12-2003, 07:35 AM
You all remember in Hidden Duality, that when you slash a bush or something, a hole appears under it, as well as it is triggered by a secret sound, and the hole remains permanent.

I think it uses flag #11 or something like that, but somehow when I try it things mess up somehow. Am I doing something wrong?

And I tried this on both a cave and overworld Dmap style, so I think it's me. :sweat:

Ganonator
09-12-2003, 01:26 PM
If you want it to be changed by a slash, use flag #79 with the stairs in the first secret combo of the 'sword' series. If you want something else, try flag #90, with the secret combo in the middle of the misc ones. Pretty straightforward.

ShadowTiger
09-12-2003, 02:48 PM
And it will stay permanent? And If I have other secret flags on the screen that I don't want triggered when I do this, what would I do?

*b*
09-12-2003, 02:57 PM
try somethig else :eyebrow:

the secret flag for the sword flag is permanent, but it triggers all secret combos on the screen. I've had this happen to me a few times myself

ShadowTiger
09-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Aha.. So it seems! So in Hidden Duality, did DFW put Flag #11 on the bushes? I know that the portals between worlds were not on a screen with a secret 5-rupee piece, so that's out of the question.

Ganonator
09-12-2003, 03:11 PM
In my current questing adventure, I made secrets with tierred flags, so you walk in, trigger everything once, and then any secret after that would NOT be permanent in an overworld. Its pretty tricky to set up, but it helps cut down on seeing things over again.

ShadowTiger
09-12-2003, 03:59 PM
but it helps cut down on seeing things over again. I'm sorry, but I don't follow your logic there. I know what you're trying to say, but the word "but" you said near the end confuses me, like how you made a good thing, like the end of the sentence, bad, with the usage of the word but. I'm sorry to .. trouble.. you, or whatever.

Freedom
09-12-2003, 10:21 PM
not that hard BH4,

say you have a secret stair and a secret statue you want to trigger, but you want the statue to appear later and not with the stairs....

you use a secondary flag so a "piece of grass" say is triggered to show when the stairs show, and then you hit your second trigger to have the statue show.

secondary triggers are temp triggers, where the first trigger for the stairs would have been permanent, so when you come back in the screen the stairs are still there but the statue is gone.

jman2050
09-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
Aha.. So it seems! So in Hidden Duality, did DFW put Flag #11 on the bushes? I know that the portals between worlds were not on a screen with a secret 5-rupee piece, so that's out of the question.

I would assume so. A screen can only have one tile warp at a time, so putting a world warp and a secret grotto would be a bit challenging, and full of restrictions (though it can be done, mind you). That design decision evidentely had nothing to do with secrets...

C-Dawg
09-13-2003, 11:30 AM
The nice thing about tiered flags is they can be used to stop triggering one secret from popping all your bushes. If you have some bushes where the undercombo is specified by a secret flag, just put another copy of the bush combo between the on-screen bush and the eventual slashed picture. (That is, make two secret combos for the bush, A Bush and A Stump. Set the secret combo on the screen to be A Bush. Then cntl-click A Bush to make it change to secret combo A Stump.)

The beauty of this is that when you slash, your sword usually stays over the combo for enough time for BOTH combos to go through. So while triggering a secret won't change the bushes into stumps, the player won't notice anything while the bushes are bushes either.

-C