PDA

View Full Version : Can poisonous life forms do themselves?

Blonde799
09-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Two snakes were slithering through a field.

One snake turned to the other and asked, "Do you suppose we are poisonous?"

"I don't know", replied the other, "Why?"

"Well", said the first, "I just bit my lip".

I was just wondering, can poisonous things actually poison themselves, and croak?

Hermit
09-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Highly unlikely. They wouldn't be able to produce such toxins within their bodies in the first place were they not immune to the effects of it. If it did, it would have very minor effects at that.

This is also where antibodies for poisions come from. Since the creatures themselves are immune to their own poisons, it's easy to extract the antibodies in their blood to make cures for other creatures, like humans ;)

fatcatfan
09-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Snakes have lips? :odd:

yeah, what hermit said.

ShadowTiger
09-09-2003, 11:52 AM
:laughing: Right. It's still an odd question though, like one of those questions of the world, like why do hot dogs come in packages of 6, and buns come in packages of 8. (If it's reversed, I don't know whether or not we're lucky or not. :eyebrow: )

Mitsukara
09-09-2003, 01:14 PM
why do hot dogs come in packages of 6
The hot dogs we buy come in packs of 8, and Oscar Meyers come in packs of 10. Buns are usually in packs of 8 when I've seen them. *shrugs*

I thought I heard somewhere that some something-or-other would kill other members of it's species using poison, but since that memory is so exceedingly vague, I wouldn't exactly put a lot of stock in it. You would think that creatures would be immune to their own poison, but I guess it seems vaguely possible that it could store it somewhere where it wouldn't mix with other chemicals in their body... but I don't really know much about animal physiology, in general:P

deathbyhokie
09-09-2003, 01:58 PM
well we're not immune to our own poison. our appendicis(sp?) are filled with a poison, and when they start to rupture you get appendicitis. if it goes long enough, it kills us. i don't see why it would be any different for other animals

Blonde799
09-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah that's true, but it doesn't come out when we attack someone.:laughing:

Dechipher
09-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Mine does.

Blonde799
09-09-2003, 05:14 PM
:odd: :odd: :odd:

Ever try to get yourself on Ripley's Believe it or not?:laughing:

Mitsukara
09-09-2003, 05:55 PM
That reminds me, I once had the brilliant idea (it takes a unique mind to think of these things)... what if someone took all the appendixes in the world (I think they can be removed, right?) and used them as weapons? See, it would be like a water balloon, only it would be a deadly weapon (the best of both worlds). Just aim at their face, don't miss, and have them inhale sharpy, and it should work (or, better yet, hit them on an open cut. Open cuts are extremely vulnerable. I learned that from a hentai game). Of course, you might want to wear gloves if you did that, but I guess that's a matter of personal preference.

Blonde799
09-09-2003, 06:02 PM
I don't think it's that kind of poison contained in our bodies(you know, the six minute race against time as soon as it comes in contact with you period kind?).....If it was, we probably wouldn't have the ability to manage waste on our own(unless our bodies have some special coating for that). It'd still be potent though, but only through open cuts, and then, you'd have to make it so they couldn't wash for a few days.

Daarkseid
09-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by deathbyhokie
well we're not immune to our own poison. our appendicis(sp?) are filled with a poison, and when they start to rupture you get appendicitis. if it goes long enough, it kills us. i don't see why it would be any different for other animals

No.. the appendix isn't filled with anything poisonous or anything dangerous to us. Its a vestigial offshoot of our digestive tract that can become filled with hardend waste matter. If this waste matter should become infected, then it can result in the condition of appendicitis, which is unpleasant by itself. Its during this condition that the appendix can rupture, spreading that infection to other areas.

Mitsukara
09-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Curse you, Daark, you've foiled my schemes again.

*retreats to her black lair of doom, muttering curses*