PDA

View Full Version : off center shutters -

eatyourneighbors
09-03-2003, 11:37 PM
i can easily create offcenter shutters, but i'm having two problems...

one - if i make the dungeon a cave dmap: the dungeon is completely free form. there is no strange borders where link can't use his sword if facing up or down, but still retains most of the other properties of a dungeon dmap. however, when i make a custom shutter in a cave dmap, once i pass through the shutters and try and go back through that door, i get "stuck" in the wall...the shutters are closed (if, say, the enemies have returned in that room...). i can get around this with a complex maze of identical screens and pit warps, i know. but aside from that i can't think of a way to make it work...

two- if i make it a Dungeon Dmap: since the dungeon is very very free form...when you're around the two tile border around the edge of the screen, if you're facing up or down you can not use weapons. however it solves the problem of the shutters, because when you pass through a doorway you walk two tiles length in every room before the shutters close, so they're closed before link would get "stuck". solve one problem but create another.

can anyone think of a trick that wouldn't involve me making a mess of pit warps and suck to correct this?

Freedom
09-04-2003, 12:08 AM
are you setting a shutter as a doorway in the door combo's?

I made shutters in a cave like that and they worked fine, but I didn't use any door combo's, I used flags to set the doors

eatyourneighbors
09-04-2003, 12:16 AM
no, i'm using flags and secret combos...the problem is...lets say i walk down through the shutter door after i've killed the enemies and its "opened". then i mess around the dungeon a while, and head back to that room, go back up through the open door...the enemies have returned, and therefor the shutter is closed...and i'm "stuck" in between that wall and the closed shutter.

if i set it to dungeon, this eliminates the problem of course, because he walks past that door before it actually closes again...but there's those other problems...

hopefully that clarifies...you might want to check out your quest too...chances are you tested it like i did, never actually went back to that room because you know how your dungeon was designed...but to a player who might be wandering aimlessly, he might get stuck...

Freedom
09-04-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure what you did differently then but it didn't do that in mine, I rechecked and rechecked.
maybe you set the enemy=shutters?

anyway try putting a temp trigger in the floor so returning opens the shutter and then once your in closes it again.

idontknow
09-04-2003, 03:00 PM
i understand your problems & i know exactly how to do freeform dungeons & in fact, its in my tutorial (perhaps thats where ya got the idea from ;)) anyhoo, no, there really isn't a way of achieving what you want to do-you must sacrifice one property for another--either you have the freeform shutters in a freeform dungeon dmap that work perfectly but then also have the sidelines that go with it where link can't use his weapons, or you get rid of the sidelines & go with the cave dmap but then can't use the freeform shutters quite right--sorry--have to give & take i guess

CJC
09-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Maybe if you use 4 secret flags on the shutters instead of just two for the door, it will work. (I haven't used freeform dungeons yet, so I don't know if that would work.)

Could you set up a trigger behind the shutter that opens it? Like a temporary trigger tile right behind the door that activates the secret combos in the room? Or would that screw up something?

C-Dawg
09-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Cjc7988

Could you set up a trigger behind the shutter that opens it? Like a temporary trigger tile right behind the door that activates the secret combos in the room? Or would that screw up something?

It wont screw anything up. This is how you do it.

-C

Drakmyth
09-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Doesn't selecting the "Freeform Dungeons" Rule fix that problem if you use a dungeon dmap?