PDA

View Full Version : computer trouble

Axel
09-02-2003, 03:22 PM
My computer has suddenly started doing things I don't understand. The CD drives work... sporadically. Sometimes both work, sometimes only the burner works, sometimes neither work. Sometimes the computer locks up for no apparent reason and has to be shut off. Sometimes it refuses to turn on properly and has to turned off from the surge protector, wait for about 20min, and then turned back on. I'm using XP.

Draconis
09-02-2003, 08:53 PM
I wonder... how long have you had your computer? If it's a long time, you might have a bad power supply, or too much dust clogging the fans/heat sinks, causing an overheat. If this happens only after you use the computer for a while then this is probably the case.

Axel
09-04-2003, 03:12 PM
I've only had it for a year.

AtmaWeapon
09-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I'd be willing to say it's a bad power supply or irregular power at your house. How old is the surge protector? Most people don't realize that surge protectors eventually fail, especially when a surge does hit the line.

It also couldn't hurt to do a fresh virus scan, although it seems more of a power problem to me.

Is it a self-built or manufactured computer? If manufactured, which brand and have you installed any extra hardware in it? Sometimes manufacturers give you a crappy power supply that just meets the needs of the current computer, and adding any new hardware means you need a stronger power supply. Try seeing if disconnecting one of the CD drives makes it behave more.

Axel
09-04-2003, 03:23 PM
its a manufactured computer, I hooked up an external CD burner, but that was in Janurary, it only started doing this recently.
I don't think the surge protector is old, but we get a thunderstorm every day, so surges are pretty common, I guess it could have failed...