PDA

View Full Version : Quest Planning

Cloral
09-01-2003, 09:58 PM
This seems to be my biggest problem. If I can plan a level properly, I can make a pretty good one. However, I seem to have a hard time doing this right, and in the end get a level that kinda wanders around without any real point to it. So I was wondering how you guys plan your quests. Maybe this will help me put something together for once.

Nick
09-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Anything I plan goes out the window anymore.

The only successful plan I've ever had is the forest in DoE... but even THAT was varied from the plans a little bit.

The thing that irks me about plans is following them. Apparently... I always get new ideas in the middle of something and don't feel like following a plan then. Being that is the case... I usually just get a general image in my mind and work from that. :shrug:

Freedom
09-01-2003, 10:28 PM
I try to look at what each level will give you as items and then make "sections" to be conquered to receive those items so there is a purpose for each area.
you can also make it where you need to take those sections in order by using the "item" to keep link out of other sections until he gets it.

If you want to be a real stinker, you can make link go out and buy an item, like the candle, in order to get the candle in the level :O)

ShadowTiger
09-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Believe me, Cloral, I'm having that problem too. Here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74215) is the thread I started a while ago relating to this topic. I hope it helps. :p

DarkFlameWolf
09-02-2003, 11:59 PM
I just make random screen designs and make it work.

KJAZZ
09-03-2003, 12:31 AM
I do what DFW does. Moreso on the overworld, I drag a random path, and BOOM! That's my lake/river. After the randomness, I do adjust it a bit.. Anyway, I make random dungeon designs. I make it fit together, somehow..If not, you can always add more or move things around... :shrug:

DarkFlameWolf
09-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Exactly. I do plan a few things out but the majority is what Kjazz mentioned.

C-Dawg
09-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation.

-C

ShadowTiger
09-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Are you serious? I mean, does that actually happen? Maybe I should try it. ;)

DarkFlameWolf
09-05-2003, 01:52 AM
that is now my new quote, thanks C-dawg. :D

CJC
09-05-2003, 05:57 PM
You mean you actually plan dungeons? I guess I'm wierd, but I make them as I go. And I don't provide keys. You either have to find the magic key early, or spend all your free money buying keys. (The first is much easier, and less time consuming, by the way.)

I've only done one block puzzle, and you wont see it until quest 4 anyways.