PDA

View Full Version : installling speakers

idontknow
08-31-2003, 04:02 PM
No sound will play from my speakers (music, sound, sound affects from IM, system noises, nothing) My parents restarted the computer completely as it was when we first got it & now everything is working fine (cuz we think we had a real nasty virus & the internet wasn't working & all sorts of other problems) anyhoo, how do i reinstall or set up my speakers so that they work properly? (i have a windows 2000 XP and my speakers are lil things that sit on the desk next to the monitor, one on each side) There's a light & two lil nobs on one of the speakers and the light is on & both nobs (volume & treble) are turned on to the right--i have no idea why my speakers aren't working--any help would be great! thanks! :)

Saffith
08-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Um... Plug them in, I guess. Speakers shouldn't need drivers or anything. If there's no sound playing, but the speakers are set up correctly, the sound card would be my first suspect. Are you sure that's not the problem?

Master Ghaleon
08-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Goto your control panel and see if your sound card is screwed up. Are you sure you plugged the speakers in the right hole instead of the mic hole? I know a couple people have done that before.

idontknow
08-31-2003, 06:00 PM
um...how do i check the sound card once i go to the control panel?

Master Ghaleon
08-31-2003, 06:32 PM
I dunno about win 2000 xp. Is there anything that says system in control panel? then goto device manager

idontknow
08-31-2003, 07:43 PM
well, i tried listening to a song in windows media player & an error message came up that said something along the lines of "cannot play audio media...no audio hardware has been installed or is not responding" so how do i "install" the audio hardware? anyone know?

EDIT: nevermind! :) i just installed DirectX, restarted my computer & now i have sound!

Master Ghaleon
08-31-2003, 11:30 PM
Sometimes its just something stupid like that. Then you beat yourself in the head and wonder why I didnt think of that before instead of wasting hours trying to figure it out.