PDA

View Full Version : Combo Cycling And Full Screen Warp.

ShadowTiger
08-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Hmm.. This is in response to Prince's Demo thread.

I was wondering if Combo Cycling is affected by the full screen warp. I mean, if he had a set # of tics for the game, could he / anyone perhaps draw a timer, and combo-cycle it correctly so the tics would be parallel to the visual timer on the screen, EVEN WHILE the screens would change? Know what I mean?

DarkFlameWolf
08-28-2003, 04:34 PM
no, not really, care to explain further? :-/

Freedom
08-28-2003, 04:57 PM
timer seperate from the screen?

If the timer was ON the screen you could use the tics for the screen itself to "time" the event, but having the timer seperate I would think would be a nightmare.

Isn't combo cycling triggered to begin when the screen is opened, and if so where would you put the clock if it were somewhere besides that screen?

Ganonator
08-28-2003, 08:07 PM
no.. this isn't what he's referring to.

Lets say you made a little clock animation w/ combo cycling. Would the combo cycling carry over with the correct frames on a full screen warp? The answer is no. combos all reset on any warp.

ShadowTiger
08-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Any warp? Crud. Oh well. Thanks Ganonator. :sweat: Guess it's back to the ol' drawing board.

And I just submitted a 60 second countdown to PZC too. Go check. (It may not be uploaded yet though, so just wait.)

PrinceMSC
08-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Britannianhero4 I don't know what you had in mind of making, but if its a clock that never resets when warping, I just want you to know that it is possible.

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

DarkFlameWolf
08-29-2003, 07:49 PM
its nice when they don't reveal everything BH4 but do tell you it can be done. :P

Petoe
08-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Well, it's Prince. He has those "cool" little secrets that can't be revealed to anyone.

Anyway, with my knowledge and experience I'd say the same as Ganonator... NO. Doesn't work. Or if it really works somehow, I have to go and figure it out immediately because I already have plans for a timer of some sort. :shrug:

Ganonator
08-30-2003, 01:52 AM
when or if we ever have timed pit warps, you could do it that way. just time it just right so when you go to the next screen, it is on that part of the timer. Just a thought.

PrinceMSC
08-30-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Petoe
Well, it's Prince. He has those "cool" little secrets that can't be revealed to anyone.

Excuse me? I believe BH4 and me had a talk about this and I told BH4 how it was done. Stop pining me as a selfish jerk that keeps everything for myself. In case you haven't noticed, I don't keep a whole lot of things back.

C-Dawg
09-01-2003, 01:55 AM
Prince, he's calling you that cause you are. You like to tell people "Haha, look what I can do!" without following up by explaining how. If you told someone how in private, don't get pissy with someone who is complaining that you didn't tell them how in public.

You can get a timer that doesn't reset by using tile animation. Start off by warping link into the room only via a combo animation that is timed to trigger exactly when the timer is begining it's animation, then just put the same timer combo on each screen. Tile animation doesn't reset between screens.

Timing the combo-animated begining with the tile-animated timer would be a nightmare, though. I'm still not clear on how much time is added to combo cycling between combos, and that's the source of the delay. (Why it takes longer to combo cycle through two combos with two frames at speed 2 than it does to tile animate through one combo with four frames at speed 2.)

Of course, all this does is sets the TIMER to animate through at a set speed regardless of screen. I imagine BH4 wants something to happen when the timer is up, regardless of the screen Link is on... this is tricky. For THIS, I'd suggest making a whole map's worth of copies of the sequence of rooms. For example, lets say you want Link to make it through a sequence of four rooms vertically before the time runs out. Just make, say, 15 copies of these four rooms and lay them out on a map. Have floor tiles that quickly cycle to pit warps and send link (via full screen warp) to the next set of rooms down the chain. You can get the timer working by having a static-drawn timer on each "set" of rooms, getting smaller as Link is in sets further down the chain. The set of rooms FARTHEST down the chain would set off the effect of 'running out of time'.

There's an area in Sabotage Dragoon where Niloc goes underwater, and I've been playing with these effects. I'm working with the "sonic" style underwater zone, where you need to grab air bubbles on a regular basis. But I think I'm going to go with a room-specific combo system, because the method explained above would be unworkable for a large dungeon.

-C

Petoe
09-01-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
I imagine BH4 wants something to happen when the timer is up, regardless of the screen Link is on... this is tricky. For THIS, I'd suggest making a whole map's worth of copies of the sequence of rooms. For example, lets say you want Link to make it through a sequence of four rooms vertically before the time runs out. Just make, say, 15 copies of these four rooms and lay them out on a map. Have floor tiles that quickly cycle to pit warps and send link (via full screen warp) to the next set of rooms down the chain. You can get the timer working by having a static-drawn timer on each "set" of rooms, getting smaller as Link is in sets further down the chain. The set of rooms FARTHEST down the chain would set off the effect of 'running out of time'.

-C
Sometimes I feel so damn stupid! Why the hell didn't I figure out that this could work with loads of screens. Of course it eats a lot of space, but who cares. Now I can make the kind of ending I wanted to my quest. Thanks C. You were helpful, unlike Prince.

C-Dawg
09-01-2003, 11:20 AM
I've been solving Zquest problems by throwing map space at them since I first got into this game ;)

-C

PrinceMSC
09-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Prince, he's calling you that cause you are. You like to tell people "Haha, look what I can do!" without following up by explaining how. If you told someone how in private, don't get pissy with someone who is complaining that you didn't tell them how in public.

Whatever dude. This is the second time I've said I can do something without following up. See this is why I get pissy, and it's because some of you guys think I do this all the time.

Would it make you guys grin ear to ear if I was to come out here twice every week and answer all of the ZQ questions about things?

Ganonator
09-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by PrinceMSC
Would it make you guys grin ear to ear if I was to come out here twice every week and answer all of the ZQ questions about things?

:king: PrinceMSC:king: No. I made that my job a while back when you guys all left.

PrinceMSC
09-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Well, you are failing at your job then.

Freedom
09-01-2003, 09:21 PM

PrinceMSC

now that wouldn't break my heart, I spend hours trying to figure the limits to these flags and combos, sure would save me a ton of time. :)

ShadowTiger
09-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Sometimes I feel so damn stupid! Why the hell didn't I figure out that this could work with loads of screens. Of course it eats a lot of space, but who cares. Now I can make the kind of ending I wanted to my quest. Thanks C. You were helpful, unlike Prince. aargh. Me too, Petoe. Me too. (Except for that last part.) Sometimes, the fun is in figuring all this out on our own. ;) ... then... we find out that someone already knows this, which pretty much throws that idea from a moving train, only to fall onto a spiky bed of coral at the bottom of the ocean, like so many other ideas. Maybe that's why Some people don't want to reveal their ideas, for fear of personal demotivation. I know that if I would have my "brilliant ideas" dashed to the sidewalk like so much New York street trash, I wouldn't feel all that good. :shrug: Personal sanctuary. :p

C-Dawg
09-02-2003, 07:31 PM
It's not about who comes up with what idea. It isn't about inventing some grand new technique that everyone puzzles over. It's about RESULTS. It's about contributing a great game (or at least an interesting game) to the community that matters. I dont see much value in people making half a quest and then selling it off for the tricks it contains. DFW is only as renowned as he is because he FINISHES QUESTS and they're quite playable.

Look at it this way. If you come up with some great new way to use Zquest to simulate a cheeseburger, who will know it was you in two years? Ah, but design a playable quest... and your name will pop up in places you least expect it.

-C